Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been out of the state since June, and returned back in October.

I left my vino parked during this time, and I knew this would most likely cause problems. 2 days ago, I tried to turn on my scooter, and after kick starting for a while, finally got the engine going.

The vino is idling fine, but when I turn my accelerator, the engine sputters out and dies.

I tried to drop some fuel cleaner into the tank and let it burn through the tank hoping this might magically clean out the carb, it's been working 'OK' where the engine went from dying immediately at the slightest turn of the accelerator to now being able to sustain enough power that I can ride it on a flat surface, but cannot muster enough power to climb any sort of incline.

I'm not sure why, but the engine also cycles through a high and low power phase with the same force applied to the throttle. What I mean by this is that turning the accelerator slightly would normally have the engine sustain the same 'power' throughout, but instead now with the bike, it will rev up to a peak for about 2 seconds, then sputter out to a low idle as if I had released the throttle for about 5 seconds (Although I am still holding it in the same spot), then suddenly roar back to the peak again for another 2 seconds, and repeat this process. Does anyone know what might be the cause of this behavior?

Anyway, my question is if I am on the right track to let the fuel cleaner work through the system, and try to burn through 1-2 tanks of gas to try to restore the bike back to working condition, or if I am in way over my head and I should take it to a mechanic to try to have maintenance done on the bike?

·
Super Moderator
10 Posts
Try putting some seafoam in the tank, about an ounce a gallon. let it idle through and see if that will clean out the small holes in the jets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I prefer B-12 Chemtool Carb Cleaner to SeaFoam-- I was told that SeaFoam was designed for marine applications.

My VINO 125 was doing EXACT same thing. This is how I cured it: instead of the recommended ounce or two, I poured 7-oz. of Berryman B-12 ChemTool #0116 Carb Cleaner into gas tank. Then rode 20+ miles. Did the trick.

·
Super Moderator
10 Posts
I have used seafoam on several bikes, it does well and you don't need as much to get it to work. I also know a lot of others who have used it and like it.
As for what is was designed for , if it works it works. WD-40 was design for water displacement for NASA and many have found it works for many other uses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts