Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I am a newbie here. Firstly, sorry for my improper english. Hope you all could understand.

Just to say that I am really proud to owned a Tmax eventhough its a 2002 carb model. Recently I did put my Tmax on ads as I have decided to sell it due to the severals problems such like high fuel consumptions, headlights insufficient brightness, engine oil leaked & the recent & most big problem is the charging system failure.
I did sent it to the local workshop, rewinded the stator & changed the compatible new rectifier. In summary, these happened:
1) checking the voltage during engine off - 11.9v
2) checking the voltage during engine throttled up, headlight off - max 12.8v
3) checking the voltage during engine throttled up, headlight on - max 11.7v
4) leave the bike at home, not use. Abt 3 days, the battery dead. Then, need to bring the battery to recharge at the workshop.
The mechanic advised to change the new original stator & rectifier. He also predicted that the whole wiring maybe too old then its also contributed to the problem. I have planned to get the stator only as the rectifier is quite new. In my country it is quite difficult to get the Tmax parts.
Hope you guys can give me an ideas to help me to make a better decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Charging issues

Hey my 01 Tmax has a similar issue..... The battery goes flat when riding it!! Then it stops the engine! ...... Any one got any ideas.... I have replaced the battery but no luck with that.... I'm thinking rectifier?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with my 02

I have the same problem. Initially I tried replacing the regulator but this didn't fix the problem. I discovered the alternator had burnt out one of the windings. You can check this by measuring the coil resistance and also the resistance to ground (should be infinity). I replaced the alternator. Was OK for a while but now has failed again. Smells like the regulator has burnt out. I've yet to discover the root cause but suspect bad connections in the wiring loom are to blame. I've also detected high resistance in the starter relay assembly. I plan to rewire some of these connections and try again. Would be good to hear from somebody who has isolated the real root of this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone from you resolved this issue so far?

Same problem with my 02

I have the same problem. Initially I tried replacing the regulator but this didn't fix the problem. I discovered the alternator had burnt out one of the windings. You can check this by measuring the coil resistance and also the resistance to ground (should be infinity). I replaced the alternator. Was OK for a while but now has failed again. Smells like the regulator has burnt out. I've yet to discover the root cause but suspect bad connections in the wiring loom are to blame. I've also detected high resistance in the starter relay assembly. I plan to rewire some of these connections and try again. Would be good to hear from somebody who has isolated the real root of this issue.
Hi guys.
I am a newbie here. Firstly, sorry for my improper english. Hope you all could understand.

Just to say that I am really proud to owned a Tmax eventhough its a 2002 carb model. Recently I did put my Tmax on ads as I have decided to sell it due to the severals problems such like high fuel consumptions, headlights insufficient brightness, engine oil leaked & the recent & most big problem is the charging system failure.
I did sent it to the local workshop, rewinded the stator & changed the compatible new rectifier. In summary, these happened:
1) checking the voltage during engine off - 11.9v
2) checking the voltage during engine throttled up, headlight off - max 12.8v
3) checking the voltage during engine throttled up, headlight on - max 11.7v
4) leave the bike at home, not use. Abt 3 days, the battery dead. Then, need to bring the battery to recharge at the workshop.
The mechanic advised to change the new original stator & rectifier. He also predicted that the whole wiring maybe too old then its also contributed to the problem. I have planned to get the stator only as the rectifier is quite new. In my country it is quite difficult to get the Tmax parts.
Hope you guys can give me an ideas to help me to make a better decision. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts