Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The display only showed two temp levels on the display which got me thinking it didn't reach full temp. All temp meters are designed to be in center for the right temp so I found it a bit odd. When driving city traffic with lots of traffic lights, it would occasionally reach the middle but quickly go back one step when getting some speed up. Outside temp was about 5-15 degrees celsius.

Replaced the thermostat and tested the old one, which seem to gradually open from around 65 degrees celsius to fully open at about 80 degrees and it closes completely. So there was nothing wrong with it.

Is this normal? Can I tap in with an OBD somehow and get a temp readout from the sensor? Found a couple of OBD adapters online for this model...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can report back by myself on this. Replaced thermostat yesterday and on the first ride today the temperature meter shows three levels/in the middle of the meter! Took a 30 min ride in 9 degrees celsius, speeds up to 100 km/h but mostly abround 70 km/h. So the old thermostat was indeed faulty. I also flushed and replaced the coolant fluid at the same time from a red color to the Blue Yamalube. This was the latest type they had at the Yamaha centre. I know different coolants can affect temperature but seems unlikely. My bet is on the old thermostat. So if your X Max only shows one or two "dots", replace thermostat and coolant and it should fix it.
Could be placebo, but I think it runs smoother to 😉

1 - 2 of 2 Posts