Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a new stereo put in my truck a couple weeks back... long story short I still have the original battery in it and this morning it was dead.... I know this is because of the new strain I'm putting on it as well as it being 4 years old.

My question is what are the newest and greatest batteries out there? I know optima was good a few years back and the stereo shop is pushing something called kinitec, but it's like 350.00.

Anyone have any info on a good battery these days?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the Optima red top in mine. I consistently listen to my stereo loud, so I know I'm pulling a good amount of wattage. I also installed a capacitor in my truck to keep the headlights from dimming.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I bet you have room to put 2 in there and maybe upgrade your alternator (maybe) and you are set to upgrade more too if you want.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Optima red top in mine. I consistently listen to my stereo loud, so I know I'm pulling a good amount of wattage. I also installed a capacitor in my truck to keep the headlights from dimming.
that is one I was looking at...... good to know it performs well.

I bet you have room to put 2 in there and maybe upgrade your alternator (maybe) and you are set to upgrade more too if you want.
ya I'm not looking to go that far though. I spent too much on the stereo and goodies already. I'm looking to be cheap here... lol

So far this is what I'm seeing

Optima Red top - 150-180 bucks
Optima yellow top 170-200 bucks
KinetikPower- 355.00 but has a built in cap.

or the standard gm battery for 120.00 :lmao

decisions decisions........

·
Motha Russia
1,424 Posts
Stick with Optima, they have batteries specificially to cope with large strains from Stereo systems.

So how is the 8track working for you :crash

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went the cheap route for now... I went with the GM replacement battery, it has a 6 year warranty, it was right down the street from work, and it was only 120.00.. :lmao

I guess later I will upgrade it, but the issue I had with the optima was it says you need a special hold down in order for it to work with GM trucks? I called on this and the local shop that carries them had no clue nor did he have this hold down that Optima says you need. I'm not sure if this is correct, but I didn't have time to mess with it, so I went the cheap route for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts