Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But it's pretty damn fun anyway! I grew up on dirt, years and years but have been away for a long time. Now that my kids are riding (and if it counts for anything.....the 8yr old is on a TTR-50 and the 5 yr old on a PW-50) I have been dying to get back out there too.

How can you go wrong? $2200 OTD w/ a new lid thrown in. Suzuki DRZ400S, 7400k miles, all stock (tho not for long) and runs mint. Even on the crappy stock (tho brand new) TrailWings, it handles the tight twisties like it could chase a cat, and it's passable in the dirt. I have a wrecked DRZ that I started out with (a "friend" totalled it the first day I had it) that I'm taking the motor out of to build up (big bore 440 when I'm done). It has some serious mud tires (Dunlop 606's) that I'll swap onto the new ride for the serious mud.

Cheap and fun, runs trails and fire roads like nothing, is street legal (no more running from cops) and wheelies like a DEMON.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Very cool, :yes I like it.

On the road, how does it feel at about 65 mph? Is it running hard to keep that pace? I'm wrestling with this dual sport idea myself.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Looks like fun... :cool

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
rode a DR-350 on the highway at 70mph, and it was a shaky, vibrating beast. unbalanced dirt bike wheels with a bead lock don't do well over 40mph....

·
Registered
113 Posts
never rode one....don't know.

just look to see if it has a rim/beadlock and no balancing weights. most 21/19/18" dirt bike wheels have rim locks. :fact
The new 2008 model is revised so I'm not totally sure, but its been geared up a bunch towards the street. I'll have to dig up some info.

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
Usually, Supermoto wheels ARE balanced, just because of the nature of their use on the road. I wouldn't doubt that they might have started balancing their wheels. Ya, if you find the info, I'd like to know. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Very cool, :yes I like it.

On the road, how does it feel at about 65 mph? Is it running hard to keep that pace? I'm wrestling with this dual sport idea myself.
At 65? Not too bad, and pretty smooth....but thats with stock 15/44 gearing. I'll be doing 14/47 gearing from the dirt only DRZ400 for a little more trail-ability, tho that'll prob put the top speed about 70. Right now she tops out at 83 with my barn-door aerodynamic profile!

I have a spare set of 21/18 rims with knobbies for the mud, the tries you see for the street, and I'm scouring ebay as we speak for a set of 17" SuMo rims....then I will have all the bases covered!

I woulda bought that if it came up! Hell, I got $2500 in mines already and climbing and it's 23 years old.
Your's is going to end up killer tho.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Usually, Supermoto wheels ARE balanced, just because of the nature of their use on the road. I wouldn't doubt that they might have started balancing their wheels. Ya, if you find the info, I'd like to know. Thanks ;)

I looked at a new one at the shop over the weekend and a the wheels had been balanced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WR250X Rims and Tires

I have a WR250X and need the tires and wheels for a WR250R. If anyone has a set of WR250R wheels and tires, I will buy or trade my 250X Rim sets and wheels for them.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
With stock gearing and BALANCED wheels, the DRZ400S is pretty competent on the highway. I rode from VA Beach to Kill Devil Hill, NC and back in one day. That was over 8 hours at 70+ MPH the whole way. I was using Pirelli MT-21s and they held up pretty decent.

The only limiting factor is the seat. Get a Renazco or Corbin and it will be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts