Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im 170lb and im about 5"10 and im 15 years old...

im looking mostly for a quad but i wouldn't mind a dirt bike

i want a 250 but i think i would kill my self on it :D

but i dont wanna grow out of it within a couple months

i was really thinking about just buying a 450 quad/dirt bike so i wont ever have to buy another one...

but i got about $10000... so what ever i do plan on buying i plan on getting it new

but what are your suggestings for bikes, sizes, new or used, and dirt bike or quad?

:thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol its ok.... but do quads have insurance/warrantys if i buy them new

cuz i live in a place were they get stolen alot
so i dont want to spend 8400 for a quad that wont be there the next morning ;)

·
Life: Tragedy or Comedy
2,843 Posts
You can race quads. The YFZ450 is the most common one out there to be raced. Be aware though that you have to do modifications to it in order for it to meet safety requirements. Biggest one being foot peg area frame and webbing.

A YZ250F is a nice bike to learn on if you want to go two wheels. Obviously, not as much power as a 450F. But, enough that you can ride it for a few years and still not master the whole art of riding. I know many who have been riding 250F's since they came out and have no desire to move up. I also know of people who have sold their 450's and dropped down to a 250F.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx r1.. fjorn i no i want a quad... but i am ganna buy a yz80 with a fmf pipe to see if i like dirtbikes im getting it for 350 so might as well right?

·
Life: Tragedy or Comedy
2,843 Posts
that's not a bad price for a yz80 so long as it's in good condition. $350 is pretty cheap so I'm afraid it'd be pretty well beat up.

One thing to keep in mind is that you're going to want to have your parents check their homeowner's policy. It might be covered by that in CA, but it will vary from state to state. here in MN, I have to have separate policies for each of my bikes if I want to insure them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya he said somthing about it running fine and someone broke in.. and broke the plastics, cut the anti freeze hose, and too the clutch and brake levers... but ill put 50 into it idc

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you can hook a lawn mower or something to the quad to say it's used for maintenance around the house, then your homeowners will cover it.
If it's considdered a recreation vehicle, then homeowners will not cover it...at least that's the norm in the north east US.

KTM quads are "said" to be 100% race ready, and the price tag shows it! Nothing you can buy direct from the factory is 100% race ready FWIW. I like the KTM dirtbikes, but don't care for their quads.

The YFZ450R seems like it'd be awesome, and Yammy owns 4-stroke reliabilty so you know the motor is solid

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't know about the others, but a 15 year old with little to no dirt bike experience on a 250 seems a little scary to me. I would start with a 125 bike as you can safely learn on them and gain experience for a few years. You can get hurt on anything, even a 80cc bike.

I rode/raced 100's then 125's for three years starting at 9 years of age, then stepped up to the 250 class. when I first rode/raced my 250 I about crapped my pants. I eventually raced every class they had back then up the open class racing a 480, but enjoyed the 250 class the most. It had enough power to have fun, but not too much to get you killed.

Never rode a quad as I think they are death traps waiting to happen. If you don't get killed you will break your back when they back-flip over and land on you. I just don't think you can manuver out of trouble as quickly on a quad as a bike, IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If you can hook a lawn mower or something to the quad to say it's used for maintenance around the house, then your homeowners will cover it.
If it's considdered a recreation vehicle, then homeowners will not cover it...at least that's the norm in the north east US.
lol i live in the north east us :( but ill find a way to hook some kind of pully to it :D

and i agree that quads are more of a death trap but i just had a friend brake his back on a dirt bike... so i go as "anything can happen" :D... and i just broke the hole left side of my body on a 150 scooter but dont worry it wasent my fault some one took a left turn infront of me :D thats were im getting my money from :D and ive noticed brakeing bones doesent hurt to much... thats why i want a bigger dirtbike so that i dont have to buy another one in a couple of years... :D i just dont wanna kill my self (Litteraly :D)

·
Sand Expert
844 Posts
There is a lot of info here. Quads are not a death trap. They are fun to ride, thats why they sell thousands. Its all in the weight shift. Check your state for youth programs. In Cali all kids under 16 can take a rider safety course for free. Our sticker fees and major manuf pay for this. A 450 is plenty enough power for a quad. two or four wheels, its all about balance.... Its a learning curve. Ride safe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts