Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Schumacher shocks - on a MotoGP bike!

Monday, 5th November 2007

Former seven-times Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher made a dramatic return to the racetrack at Valencia on Monday - riding a MotoGP bike!

The German legend had previously made a cautious MotoGP debut on a 990cc Ducati during a secret test at Mugello in October of 2005, but the now retired F1 ace picked a much more public 'press and guest' test for his second appearance - and didn't disappoint.

Just one day after the season-ending Valencian Grand Prix, Schumacher took to the same twisty Spanish circuit on board Casey Stoner's 800cc Desmosedici, which won the 2007 MotoGP World Championship and finished second behind Honda's Dani Pedrosa in the season finale.

And, while 'Schumi' had been a distant 18 seconds a lap off MotoGP race pace at Mugello 2005, he put in an incredible performance during his 800cc debut at Valencia - charging around the Spanish track in a best lap time just five seconds behind Pedrosa's race record of 1min 32.748secs!

Schumacher's 1min 37.9secs also put the former Ferrari driver three seconds a lap from the back of the MotoGP field. Michael was 'coached' by former 500GP star Randy Mamola during his extended session, which lasted for most of the afternoon.

Also sampling 2007 MotoGP power at Valencia on Monday was another F1 legend, Gerhard Berger, together with former 500cc world champions Wayne Gardner, Kevin Schwantz and Alex Criville, reigning double AMA Superbike champion Ben Spies, BSB stars Michael Rutter and Tom Sykes, plus Trial riders Toni Bou and Laia Sanz.

:corn

Attachments

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The end of MotoGP as we know it has arrived with F1 journeyman Michael Schumacher putting down his copy of 'An idiots Guide to Semi-Successful Cheating by M.Schumy' to turn up at Valencia and belittle all our heroes and our sport in general.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The end is here.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Schumy stuns us all and makes MotoGP look rubbish[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The KrautenBlok arrived unannounced in the Valencia paddock causing Sylvain Guintoli and Randy De Puniet to immediately surrender and for Yamaha Tech 3 to go into hiding with the promise that they wouldn't come out until the Americans had seen him off. But for once this was a German who didn't have invasion on his mind instead he was wanting to show the true potential of his chin riding the Ducati 800cc MotoGP machine.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Krauten Born smugster instantly showed his liking for a fresh bowl of over-steamed cabbage and the Ducati machine posting a best lap of 1.32.748secs - just five seconds shy of Dani Pedrosa's 2007 circuit lap record. The Ducati GP07's sophisticated electronics package teamed with the Germans oversized chin proved a winning combo moving him up in to 1st position ahead of duff handed countryman Alex Hoffman in the list of Germany's greatest all-time MotoGP riders.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Despite his sensational times the soured chocca-chinned cabbage star refused to fully acknowledge his smugness.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I wasn't where I wanted to be to be honest" sulked Schumyhead this time not talking about the time he missed the train to the annual Poland invasion re-enactment "I really tried my hardest - even harder than I cheated whilst in F1 - but when I returned to the pits the Ducati crew were shaking their heads and I knew from deep within my chin that I hadn't lapped faster than Kurtis Roberts. It's a shame but I guess my well-engineered prediction of anyone could beat the ugly American with two hours training was way off the mark - I think I might need half a day now."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It all seemed a world away from two years ago when the ever-unpopular German last had a crack at MotoGP. On that occasion he looked as awkward as James Ellison at the Day of Champions on board the ferocious 990 Ducati and posted a time that would make Kurtis Roberts blush.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But with the crappy pressures of F1 now lifted from the Kraut's massive bone head Schumy was able ride 100% (or 110% if you live in America) and set a time that left us confusingly respecting the F1 nearly-man.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Therefore the German, who made his name in Sports car racing before an unsuccessful F1 career, has underlined the claims of all race fan's wives and girlfriends out there - that it is indeed just the bike and not the rider that determines the outcome of MotoGP.[/FONT]

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Schumacher talks MotoGP.

Tuesday, 6th November 2007

Following his superb performance on a MotoGP bike at Valencia on Monday, former seven-times F1 world champion Michael Schumacher spoke about the experience.

The German, who had only ridden a (990cc) Ducati MotoGP machine once before, at Mugello in 2005, spent most of the afternoon on Casey Stoner's 800cc world championship winning Desmosedici - and stunned the world with a best lap time just five seconds slower than the MotoGP lap record, set in Sunday's season-ending grand prix.

"How can I compare riding a Harley Davidson with this?! It's unlike anything else in the world," Schumi told the official MotoGP website, before revealing that he'd smashed his own personal target: "I remember last time I rode the MotoGP bike I think I was about 15 seconds [a lap] slower than what could be done, so I thought if maybe I could get within 10 seconds that would be nice..."

The ex-Ferrari ace was helped by friend and former 500cc grand prix star Randy Mamola, who offered advice to the German before joining him out on track.

"Randy is a good friend," said Michael. "We just chat. He gives me tips and explains to me what I am doing wrong. It was nice to ride around together at the end. It's certainly a great help if you have an experienced guy around you to tell you your mistakes."

Schumacher was also asked about Stoner's stunning season, in which the 22-year-old Australian claimed his, Ducati and Bridgestone's first ever MotoGP crown - during his first year with the factory team.

"If you remember last year nobody would have bet on [Stoner] at all. Ducati took the risk to take him on board," said Schumacher. "Sure he had a good bike and there is a tyre situation, but he beat his team-mate and all the other guys on the same tyres. Big credit to him. He rode it so smoothly, so perfectly. I'm very impressed."

More pictures of Schumacher's impressive MotoGP test can be seen below.

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
Be interesting to see how fast he goes after he lays one down once though.... ground, sky, ground, sky, ground just isnt the same when you dont have a cage around you. :lmao

1 - 12 of 12 Posts