Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phoenix Technologies launches HyperSpace "instant on" embedded OS

Posted Nov 6th 2007

It appears that DeviceVM won't be able to sit around and gloat over its "instant on" SplashTop Linux OS that's being integrated into ASUS motherboards, as they've got some competition on the horizon. A company called Phoenix Technologies is introducing a new mini-OS called HyperSpace (what's with all these compound names?) that features a four second boot time. Using a form of virtualization which sets aside memory and disk space for the small boot, the ROM-based environment lets you access Firefox, launch a DVD movie, or fire up other apps while your system loads Vista or XP in the background. Apparently, the BIOS-embedded platform will also allow manufacturers and developers to embed their own, customized applications, thus extending the range of uses for the system. Soon, you won't have to wait even a tenth of a minute to check your Facebook inbox.

[Via Good Morning Silicon Valley]

:comp

·
Lucky #13
333 Posts
I wonder how long it will be before Enitre OS's are shipped on a chip instead of a DVD.
they could do that now but its too expensive. SSHD are just now becoming popular meanwhile theyve been in use for how many years now?

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
they could do that now but its too expensive. SSHD are just now becoming popular meanwhile theyve been in use for how many years now?
I wouldnt think expense would be the issue - an OS doesnt require near the capacity of an SSHD. Just have to standardize the set up so that all of them use the same socket, make the OS a plug and play module seperate from the storage drives. That would be the shit, of course, it would also make it a bear to pirate an OS...............

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have no idea what all that technical jargon means, but like R1 Master said, a 4 second boot time would be sweeeeeet. :)

·
mod impersonator
3,221 Posts
^^^werd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts