Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I laid down my bike for the first time recently (my first fall ever) and aside from hurting my pride, I cracked my outer crankcase cover and put a few scratches on the plastics. When it first happened, the bike was leaking oil like crazy. I figured it was from the hole in the crankcase cover. I already used touch up paint to cover the scratches, and I replaced the crankcase cover myself, BUT I am still leaking oil. I can't seem to find where the leak is coming from. It seems like it is leaking down from somewhere in the middle of the bike. I removed the fairings and still couldn't get a good view. I am thinking about using one of those stop leaks, but am unsure of their effectiveness. Any ideas on a easy fix for this problem? I would just go to a dealership but I am U.S. military stationed in Italy and its difficult to find shops/communicate/not get ripped off out here. Any help or advice is welcomed.

·
time in a bottle
1,349 Posts
I am thinking about using one of those stop leaks, but am unsure of their effectiveness. .
I would not do this.
the result could be catastrophic .
you need to find the cause.
I would take the fairings off and have another look.
possibly take the tank off and inspect the airbox while you are at it .but maybe looking from the top will help you .
also make sure you look for oil lines like #5 in this diagram and inspect them for damage or proper seal.
White Font Line Engineering Auto part

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not do this.
the result could be catastrophic .
you need to find the cause.
View attachment 5790
+1 !!

did you drop the oil? how much came out - have you been running with low oil level? what did it look like - any bits of metal in it? any 'glitter' particles?
IMO you really do need to find where ur leaking oil asap - b4 u ride it again! there may be some severe damage - or you may cause more. could end up seizing at 100+mph, or needing a replacement engine!
Don't use any sealer rubbish.

it should be fairly easy to find the leak, just start taking fairings etc off bit by bit till u find it.
take it to a Yamaha dealer n get quotes for evrything they're gonna do if you can't do it yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.