Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
i am gonna be racing Wera Novice this year...

thinking I should focus on Tires, GAS, Performance Mods...can anyone break that down for me? My problem is right now i am on a limited budget for racing, which sucks :( I have to work 40 hrs a week, i have a shit ton of bills, so i can't spend an assload on racing...But it is My Priority, everything else is second.

TIRES: I really don't have the money for Tire Warmers, or a generator to power them so i Feel like i am at a disadvantage already when it comes to racing...i have to run 2Ct's basically cause i don't wanna heat cycle DOT's/slicks cause i wont have the money to replace them all the time

Gas: should i be running race fuel or just 93?

Performance mods? what all should i focus on here? I have Akra ORY, Race Baffles, BMC Race filter, PC111 with custom Dyno tune....520 chain kit on the way....what else?

any advice i can get would be much appreciated!

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
made ya a new thread....

i hate to start giving you advice when i don't know what's allowed for the novice class in WERA. the rulebook should spell things out pretty well.

also, you'll probably find better answers to your questions here.....

http://forums.13x.com/index.php (WERA forum ;))

·
Life: Tragedy or Comedy
2,843 Posts
Agreed, the WERA forum should be able to help you out on a lot of that.

But, at the same time, I would approach it this way as a novice:

-Run the best tires you can within your budget
-Run high octane pump fuel
-Spend the money and get your suspension reworked (typically a revalve in the front and Penske replacement shock in the rear for budget club racing)
-You'll need to get race plastics that have a catch pan in the lower fairing

Don't look at it as being at a disadvantage because you don't have tire warmers and can't run slicks because of your budget. You've already put yourself down for it. Think of it in a more positive manner: This is your first year racing, so use it as a learning year that you'll use to learn the tricks of the trade, the various tracks, etc. Slowly add things as you can when you can afford them.

In a sense I'll be going through the same thing as you are, as I'm planning on racing AMA District 23 (dirt/MX/harescrambles) next year as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Firehawk...i am gonna be racing Wera Novice this year...what all will i have to Safety Wire...does it state in the WERA Rulebook?
Just FYI, WERA requires:
- axles or axle nuts
- oil filler caps
- kickstarter retaining bolts
- axle caps and/or pinch bolts
- oil drain plug(s)
- removable exhaust baffles
- brake caliper bolts
- *oil gallery plugs
- radiator caps
- brake torque arms
- oil lines
- coolant drains
- speedo and tach cables
- spin on oil filters/filter bolts
- any pressure fed lubricant line
- *fork oil drain screws/bolts
- rear exhaust mount(s) (all)

depending on the tech/raceway, you can get away with RTV on some of that list, but check before you decide to do it.

^^^ Hey thanks Mang! I am just really intimidated on safety wiring, never done it before. And im freaked about drilling tiny ass holes in my stock bolts...can you just purchase a complete pre-drilled bolt kit for everything thats required??? if so, where?
concentrate on suspension and tires. and like Mark said, drill press is your friend.... and good cutting oil.

·
Registered
45 Posts
thinking I should focus on Tires, GAS, Performance Mods...can anyone break that down for me? My problem is right now i am on a limited budget for racing, which sucks :(

TIRES: I really don't have the money for Tire Warmers, or a generator to power them so i Feel like i am at a disadvantage already when it comes to racing...i have to run 2Ct's basically cause i don't wanna heat cycle DOT's/slicks cause i wont have the money to replace them all the time

Gas: should i be running race fuel or just 93?

Performance mods? what all should i focus on here? I have Akra ORY, Race Baffles, BMC Race filter, PC111 with custom Dyno tune....520 chain kit on the way....what else?

any advice i can get would be much appreciated!
Focus on SUSPENSION and tires. you don't need race tires until you get better (actually I don't know your skill level, but just a suggestion), because you might not be keeping a lap speed that is advanced enough to keep the heat in those tires consistantly. DOTs will be good for you right now until you get a better feeling of what you want out of your rubber because you'll keep them at temperature consistantly throughout the race. Don't necessarily equate higher performance tires with higher performance riding abilities. I've seen, with my own eyes, Jason Pridmore lap faster on Dunlop Qualifiers and an mildly tuned, stock Suzuki suspension than other (to remain nameless) AMA racers on race tires. His technique and understanding of motorcycles gave him a distinct advantage.

High octane pump gas is good for now. Honestly, i don't think you'd really know the difference at the moment between pump and race fuel (pm Junior.. he know a LOT about fuels).

Performace mods: better suspension. suspension, suspension suspension. everything else will come in time. nothing you can bolt on at the moment will make you a better racer. Possibly clip-ons.. sometimes the positioning of stock clip-ons can get uncomfortable, especially on the throttle... but that may just be me.

Good luck man.

·
time in a bottle
1,349 Posts
Its been a lot of years since I raced wera the rules have definitely changed but I found out these answers the hard way. hope this helps.also I agree with earlier post suspension is way more important than motor when you are starting out. sorry in advance if you are way past this point.
questions you need to ask.
-what tires am i allowed to run, what tires pay contingency(brakes,sprockets and many other things are possibly potential for contingency)
-is my grid position related to my points standings , if there is no form of qualifying then your grid position may be effected by your previous points accumulation. if you are starting out new you will grid at the back and miss a race and your grid position may fall.
-what tools do i need >safety wire pliers , accurate pressure gauge- sprockets(different tracks need gearing alternatives)
-practice on friday?
-what classes can i run with my bike and the set up I have (exhaust stock vs aftermarket for example)
-will my bike pass tech inspection, is copy of title required at tech?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts