Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad and my stable. SX500, mountain SRX700, SX700, Viper.

We used to race COSDRA series, I won several championships in the amatuer class, particularly with the SX500. The real kicker is that I had far more success with the 500 than I ever did with the SRX, and with 1/10th the work. Pretty much just dropped in a set-up that I thought would work and be reliable on many tracks, and didn't touch it. I took the 500 class, and 600multi-pipe class on the first try, despite coming in halfway thru the season. came second in 600 single pipe. Second year I swept all 3 with ease, sled was rock solid. The biggest help was not having to really play with the set-up, just warm it up and rock and roll. Taking stupid chances with different set-ups is what will kill you in drag racing, sometimes however, that's what you have to do.

here's some shots of the stable all sitting in the shop.

then a few of the mountain SRX. Last one is me getting a holeshot on Pam Stinson, that sled won the improved stock 700 championship that year, I was regularly faster to 60' tho, despite being on a stock sled. Not entirely the sled tho, Pam would usually stage very deep and wasn't at all good at cutting good lights, but being 95lbs she was faster than most guys that could cut a good light.

Attachments

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a couple more, SRX again, don't have much for shots of the other sleds, last one is me studding, was fairly drunk at the time, about the only thing I can do to make that job not the most tedious thing ever.

Attachments

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
naa, that's racing. Not many spectators will pay to freeze their ass off. Grass drags offer a chance for the consumers to see the new iron compete against each other and against the older stuff before winter, so they have a chance to know how it runs before they put money down.

It's not hard on the sled at all, so long as you cool them properly, I have equipment that I built for that tho. Only real shitty part is cleaning them, the clay gets into EVERYTHING.

·
mod impersonator
3,221 Posts
bitchin...love going to the grass and ice drags around here

jray02r1
jesse

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D the great lakes middle-east

yea, I miss racing, it's not a cheap sport tho. Yamaha disbanded their racing division for sleds and I basicly left then, without contingency and support it's nearly impossible to be competative.

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
great to FINALLY see a few pics of your stable bro...very cool. :)

gotta get up that way and do grass drags with ya.

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
truthfully I don't do a whole lot of racing anymore. Backyard shit isn't satisfying. (ya, I won against a buncha cowboys, so what?) and I don't have the expendable money to go out and run a professional circuit. Gotta get school done, and the project bike too.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
a couple more, SRX again, don't have much for shots of the other sleds, last one is me studding, was fairly drunk at the time, about the only thing I can do to make that job not the most tedious thing ever.

sweet.. and thanks for the pic of your face... :twisted

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Ok I think a sled doesn't look as funny for you than a bike with your height... :p

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dunno, the one where I'm hanging off the bump seat trying to get any traction at all looks pretty ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts