Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a recurring problem with my pc for the last two months. I'm running xp, 1gig mem, 160gb HD, with and up to date Mcafee full security suit, and up to date Spy sweeper.

Its been shutting down during the virus scan and restarting ( even when I try it in safe mode). The error is blue screen and says Kernal stack Inpage Error Stop: 0x00000077(0x00000A3,
0xc00000A3,0x00000000, 0x0070E000. The spy sweeper hasnt found much only the usual cookies. And lately the pc will freeze up if I just walk away and don't do anything on it. It still burns full dvds, video edits and large tasks like that. It will not complete a chk disc scan, shuts down just like during a virus scan. I did and online scan from Panda security and it says my pc is infected but won't let me fix it with out buying thier software.

I'm not much of a pc person at all, so any help would be appreciated guys.:whiteflag

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
sounds vaguely like a virus that was running around a couple years ago...be damned if I can remeber the fix though. I am sure R1L or Shagz or someone will though...

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Did you install any new programs and then the problem started?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
sounds vaguely like a virus that was running around a couple years ago...be damned if I can remeber the fix though. I am sure R1L or Shagz or someone will though...

Yeah, I've back up most of my info to an external HD(knowing my luck I've backup the virus too..lol) and I read the microsoft page on the error, but it doesnt help me much.

Did you install any new programs and then the problem started?

None that I can think of...I went through over the weekend an deleted some of the un-needed files and programs using the control panel.

and what sucks the most is I cant get it to complete a virus scan or chkdisc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
since you got everything important backed up, format HD, reinstall OS, problem solved

I'd rather not go that far just yet, while I have all my important files backed up(family picts etc.). I may not have the disks for all my programs to reinstall them. Also I have an upgrade disc for windows xp, so a total OS reinstall would be a pain in the a$$. I'll do it if I have to, but I'd rather not. Its crashed 3 times today so, I may not have a choice before long either.

·
Lucky #13
333 Posts
i havent seen any virus do damage on a kernal pack level but i could be wrong. the only times ive seen those kind of BSOD issues is when hardware fails. virus scanning (if you are using norton or mcafee) uses alot of processing power and stresses the system. i wouldnt be surprised if you have some kind of memory modual failure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i havent seen any virus do damage on a kernal pack level but i could be wrong. the only times ive seen those kind of BSOD issues is when hardware fails. virus scanning (if you are using norton or mcafee) uses alot of processing power and stresses the system. i wouldnt be surprised if you have some kind of memory modual failure.

Thank you, My bios does a full memory scan at boot up, and it passes it, could it still be that? How do I diagnose?

·
Lucky #13
333 Posts
download SiSoft Sandra and run the stresstest for a few hours. chances are if you get teh BSOD you have some kind of hardware issue. you can also download memtest to really stress your memory, if you do have some problem with memory modules than it will show in a few passes.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
There is a way to revert to a previous working version I can't remember how and I am on Vista right now... I'll have to look it up

·
Life: Tragedy or Comedy
2,843 Posts
Hey Shawn,

Sounds like a virus. Might want to give Lavasoft's Ad-ware Free edition a try. Download and install. Then, boot into safe mode with networking and update the definitions.

Once done, reboot and go back into safe mode with networking. Update your McAfee, and then do a full scan. Not just a scan of files. Be sure you scan compressed files and directory depth as well.

Finally, just to eliminate any possibilities it might be a memory issue, download and burn to cd the ISO of Memtest86 . It's a free program that you boot off of the CD, and it'll tax the hell out of your system to diagnose failed memory sticks.

Give those a try, and report back. I've had some viruses and spyware on client's computers so bad that even after all that I've had to wipe and reinstall everything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, guys I may have it fixed.

Yesterday, when I was running th Mcaffe virus scan I noticed that my pc shut down in the same spot every time. It was strange, because it was in the middle of one of my family picture folders. So I ran it again and located the exact spot it shut down, right on this certain picture ( normal everyday pict I took here at the house and loaded in with the windows picture wizard like two years ago) but I also noticed that if I looked very closely as it scanned, a quick little .exe would show for a fraction of a second right as it went to that pict. I deleted the entire picture file folder rebooted and ran Mcaffee again. That seemed to do it. The scan ran completely through with no problems. The pc hasnt shut down since. I ran addtional scans overnight..all is well so far. I'm going to do some more of the things you guys suggested later this evening as well. ( if I remember correctly, I backed up that picture folder ages ago on my backup hard drive..so there may be a copy of that same bug/virus/whatever on that drive as well in the same exact folder. Anyhow, I hope that was it, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I've been having a recurring problem with my pc for the last two months. I'm running xp, 1gig mem, 160gb HD, with and up to date Mcafee full security suit, and up to date Spy sweeper.

Its been shutting down during the virus scan and restarting ( even when I try it in safe mode). The error is blue screen and says Kernal stack Inpage Error Stop: 0x00000077(0x00000A3,
0xc00000A3,0x00000000, 0x0070E000. The spy sweeper hasnt found much only the usual cookies. And lately the pc will freeze up if I just walk away and don't do anything on it. It still burns full dvds, video edits and large tasks like that. It will not complete a chk disc scan, shuts down just like during a virus scan. I did and online scan from Panda security and it says my pc is infected but won't let me fix it with out buying thier software.

I'm not much of a pc person at all, so any help would be appreciated guys.:whiteflag

My computer nerd roommate who is a System admin says it's a hardware failure probably

Here is a troubleshoot on MS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315266

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Shawn,

Sounds like a virus. Might want to give Lavasoft's Ad-ware Free edition a try. Download and install. Then, boot into safe mode with networking and update the definitions.

Once done, reboot and go back into safe mode with networking. Update your McAfee, and then do a full scan. Not just a scan of files. Be sure you scan compressed files and directory depth as well.
QUOTE]

Just to cover all the bases, I did download that and left it run overnight...didn't find much, the usual cookies, I'll leave Mcafee run today too and then tonight I'll do the memory scan you suggested and see if it turns anything up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally, just to eliminate any possibilities it might be a memory issue, download and burn to cd the ISO of Memtest86 . It's a free program that you boot off of the CD, and it'll tax the hell out of your system to diagnose failed memory sticks.

I downloaded and booted it off of a floppy, it ran all the tests and took 2 hours to finish. Pass complete-no errors.

So far so good....it hasnt crashed again yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts