Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rossi chases consolation victory.

Monday, 29th October 2007

Valentino Rossi is looking to end a disappointing MotoGP season on a high, with victory at this weekend's Valencia season finale.

Few believed that Rossi's 2007 season could turn out worse than 2006, when the Italian sustained a shock title defeat at the very final round, but this year Rossi and Yamaha were defeated with three rounds to go - and are yet to match even their 2006 total of wins, podiums, pole positions or points.

The 2006 season consisted of 17 rounds - one less than this year, due to the addition of the San Marino Grand Prix to the world championship calendar.

Comparing last season's 17 rounds with the 17 rounds prior to Valencia this year, Rossi has taken four wins (five in 2006), eight podiums (ten in 2006), four poles (five in 2006) and has 241 points (247 in 2006) - despite suffering three DNFs last year, but only two non-scores this year.

Given those stats, it's no surprise that the former five-times MotoGP champion is demanding significant progress from both his machine and tyres for 2008 - something Yamaha is already working on.

"This is the last race of 2007 but we are already looking ahead to the 2008 season, which starts with testing at Valencia next Tuesday!" said team director Davide Brivio. "Already some of our work with the bike is targeted at next year but we also have one more race to contest and we want to be competitive."

A Valencia victory would not only provide a welcome boost heading into the off-season - but also make Rossi the first rider to reach 100 podium finishes in the 58-year history of premier-class grand prix racing.

"It's been a long and hard season and now we've finally arrived at the last race and we are all hoping that we can have a good weekend," said Rossi. "More than anything I want to win and give everyone in the team a happy end to the season; motivation is still very high and we will be doing the best we can in Valencia. Second place is not first but it is still important because I have not been outside the top two since 1996 and I want to keep that going."

The Valencian Grand Prix is the 100th race since the new era of four-stroke MotoGP was introduced in 2002. Rossi is one of only three riders to have appeared in every single one - the other two being Loris Capirossi and Carlos Checa - taking an incredible 49 victories along the way.

:corn

·
Motha Russia
1,424 Posts
:lmao

Not this again. Poor Rossi :r1lover

Actually I do hope he does well this race, just to get his confidence bust up for next year.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let's test this media player thing out here :

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWK3rFZIK-4[/MEDIA]

Yep, it works!

Hey , the good news is , that if he chokes and bins it again , at least he's not in the friggin points lead anyway like he was last year. Maybe with that whole " I might be able to win the championship " mentality being a total impossibility , it'll be easier on him this time around.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me test it too... :lol

Look who's the leader... wait, did Hayden ever lead a race outside of US? :crash

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0DSG63BBuE[/MEDIA]

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
lead 1 lap of 1 race outside the US.

but it was the important one. It was also the most dramatic finish to a race that I've ever seen. I had substantial psychological investment in it too tho I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts