Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Capirossi makes Suzuki proud, Chris rides '08.

Tuesday, 6th November 2007

After five years as a Ducati rider, Loris Capirossi made his Rizla Suzuki debut during testing at Valencia on Tuesday afternoon.

And the experienced Italian, a nine-times 500cc/MotoGP race winner, wasted no time getting used to the GSV-R - setting a competitive 1min 33.8secs on his second lap!

After making numerous changes during the half-day session, Capirossi went on to record a best of 1min 33.266secs, placing him fourth on the timesheets - less than one tenth behind new team-mate Chris Vermeulen and just under one-second from former Ducati team-mate Casey Stoner.

"The first couple of hours that I have ridden the Suzuki have been very good," smiled Loris. "The feeling with the bike is excellent and I already have a good relationship with the team, and I think for me this is the best condition that it could be. We have one more day to work, but I am very happy for the start we have had today. We need to keep our concentration for the rest of the test, but so far I am really pleased with the way things are going!"

"It was a very proud and exciting moment when Loris stepped onto the bike and headed down pit-lane, and after only one lap to get used to the feeling, he produced a 1min 33.8secs lap-time that put a smile on everyone's face - most notably his!" stated team manager Paul Denning. "Hopefully this is the start of a very rewarding partnership for him and Suzuki."

For Vermeulen, a Suzuki grand prix rider for the past two seasons, Tuesday marked his first chance to test the 2008 GSV-R.

"It's been a good first day's test for the 2008 season," said the Australian. "We did a lot of stuff with brakes today and some compound tyre testing for Bridgestone, and we got a lot of information from those. Then at the end of the day I got to ride the 2008 prototype bike which Nobu has been testing and raced on in Malaysia. The track temperature was going down at that time, but the bike felt very good for a first run out. There were a lot of positive points and definitely something to work on. We've got a lot of work tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

"It's also been great having Loris here today, he's got a lot of enthusiasm and I could see he really enjoyed riding the bike. For a first day he has been great to work with and I'm excited to have him on board. I hope we have a good season and we all work well together!" he added.

Joining Vermeulen and Capirossi at the one-and-a-half day test is factory test rider Nobuatsu Aoki. The Japanese raced an early version of the 2008 bike as a wild-card at last month's Malaysian
Grand Prix and continued development at Valencia on Tuesday.

"We have the same bike as finished the race in Sepang, and we need to fine tune the suspension because the surface character is so much different here," revealed Aoki. "So we are working on the settings and some engine control management and we have made sure all the new things from Japan are working correctly. I will be doing more testing tomorrow to try out new things. I am really happy to hear Chris likes the new bike - that's really good news for me!"

Testing will continue on Wednesday, with a full day of MotoGP track action at the Spanish circuit.

:corn

Attachments

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
he'll do well. seems like he's happy, and the bike is going well for him. that's a good combination. :)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
The rest of the testing times are going to be interesting. So far it seems like next season might be a lot better year for racing than this one was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts