Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might as well break in this thread :mock Here'e my sons TTR50 and my daughters 60 3 wheeler :moped

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Good to start them young... :thumbup

·
mod impersonator
3,221 Posts
hell yeah!!!

jray02r1
jesse

·
mod impersonator
3,221 Posts
2 wheeler for sure...

jray02r1
jesse

·
Life: Tragedy or Comedy
2,843 Posts
Get a two wheeler. You can have someone make, or you can buy, training wheels and restrict the throttle down. Friends of mine did that with their son's bike. Then, they sold it and bought a KTM 50. Night and day difference in power. The KTM is truly a race bike, the PW is a learner bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 50 dirt bikes are nice but for 5 and under I would get a 4 wheeler. Only problem is once they out grow a 4 wheeler its useless, the 50 dirt bike is fun forever.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Get a two wheeler. You can have someone make, or you can buy, training wheels and restrict the throttle down. Friends of mine did that with their son's bike. Then, they sold it and bought a KTM 50. Night and day difference in power. The KTM is truly a race bike, the PW is a learner bike.
That's the direction I have been leaning... I hear the training wheel that goes in the center is the way to go and make it pretty easy for them.

She will be 2 in Feb and if it was up to her she would have one now... so I'm thinking it will be a nice 2nd b day present. If it's a little soon then she can at least play with it until she can ride it. :)

I think I want it for her just as much too. :rofl

O ya... Welcome to the site.. :)

·
Life: Tragedy or Comedy
2,843 Posts
That's the direction I have been leaning... I hear the training wheel that goes in the center is the way to go and make it pretty easy for them.

She will be 2 in Feb and if it was up to her she would have one now... so I'm thinking it will be a nice 2nd b day present. If it's a little soon then she can at least play with it until she can ride it. :)

I think I want it for her just as much too. :rofl

O ya... Welcome to the site.. :)
That's what he has, is a home made center training wheel setup. IIRC, his son was 4 this summer when he went to the KTM50. I believe he said they started him out on the PW50 when he was three. Don't really recall.

Thanks for the welcome, R1Lover. :)

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
My Son on his PW50, he has moved on to a KTM 50 Sr. Adventure now and lil sis is riding the PW with the training wheels back on it.

Attachments

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
that's awesome guys. i keep taking the boy down to the shop, but he's not quite big enough yet for the PW50. probably another few months. he WANTS to ride....so that's a start.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
pw. i just made the center wheels with a piece of steel rod, 2 u bolts and a couple of lawnmower wheels. you can bend the rod for lean adjustment. haha

·
time in a bottle
1,349 Posts
Sweet, I will be in the need of one of those soon.

Most people are telling me to get the two wheeler rather then a 4 wheeler.

What are your thoughts on this?
my opinion based on experience is that 4wheelers are far more dangerous for children for several reasons . one look at the pic of the kid on the pw50 imagine he turns and the rear end slides out the bike will pancake and slide or high side and slide on its side with an atv they have a tendency to hold onto the child and flip crushing the child-atvs are much heavier . two it takes skill to move up to the next speed on a dirt bike you have to learn balance and the learning process takes time usually helps govern the rider(a skilled adult expends and uses as much talent and skill on an atv as a dirt bike IE: atv's are hard to ride at adult level) children on atvs only have to know where the throttle is dirt bikes force the kid to learn to ride them balance throttle brake damn fell over back up balance throttle brake gettin better and better <---dirt bike
--->atv throttle ditch ravine hill forgot where the brake is roll roll roll. the reason that many manufactures dont even make an atv for children under twelve.

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
my opinion based on experience is that 4wheelers are far more dangerous for children for several reasons . one look at the pic of the kid on the pw50 imagine he turns and the rear end slides out the bike will pancake and slide or high side and slide on its side with an atv they have a tendency to hold onto the child and flip crushing the child-atvs are much heavier . two it takes skill to move up to the next speed on a dirt bike you have to learn balance and the learning process takes time usually helps govern the rider(a skilled adult expends and uses as much talent and skill on an atv as a dirt bike IE: atv's are hard to ride at adult level) children on atvs only have to know where the throttle is dirt bikes force the kid to learn to ride them balance throttle brake damn fell over back up balance throttle brake gettin better and better <---dirt bike
--->atv throttle ditch ravine hill forgot where the brake is roll roll roll. the reason that many manufactures dont even make an atv for children under twelve.
:+1 I couldnt agree more. ATV's arent for kids.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, I got my first dirt-bike for my 4th or 5th birthday. Learned how to ride
one before I did a bike haha. It defiantly will get you ready for the bigger stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i need to buy a starter / starting motor for my sons yamaha ttr50.
anyone know where to get a used one for cheap?

thanks
curtis

i already downloaded the repair manual for the yamaha ttr50 from Repair Manual Downloads and its a great manual. but, i still need to replace the starting motor. where can i buy a used one?

thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts