Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i checked... if its getting spark... if its getting gas... airfilter... reeds... and carb... and all seems good... but i went to go change the oil and i noticed that its more of a lighter color then normal oil so i thought gas or water some how got into it i went to go lite it... and nothing happened so its not gas... but the guy that i bought it from said someone broke into were they were keeping it... and they cut the anti freeze hoze dented the new fmf exuast... im wondering if they put water in the motor... if so how would i fix this.. i of course drained the oil and cleaned it out and put new oil into it... what else would i do to get it running any faster...

and also it feels like there is no clutch what so ever... like it doesent spring bak and when you move it back its very easy to pull the lever<<< if that made sence.. am i ganna have to replace the clutch?

·
Registered
37 Posts
well as far as the water goes i suggest putting new oil in, then draining it do that a few times. it will cost a little bit of $ for the oil but you wanna get that out. there is 2 things you could check with the clutch. 1 check and make sure the cable is good, 2 there is a little ball bearing in the clutch assembly and if that is missing it will do that. or the rod is missing. i put my yz85 motor together without it and it did almost the same thing.

its hard to explain. it # 17 and 18 on this
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_secti...ry=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=1993&fveh=554

thats my guess.
good luck:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
you may also need 16. you will have to take the side casing off, take out the clutch disks and check. you may have to take off the whole clutch basket idk im not fimillar with yz80s.
the bearing easily rolls out when you take the motor apart. it happen to me on my yz. so if this guy you bought it from ever took the motor apart. or replaced clutch disks or somthing like that. it could have easaly rolled out without him noticing. its only like a buck but you should check and see. when you take the bike apart take out the little rod w/ a round end out(#16 on the site) lean the bike to the side and it sould roll out if its their. be extremly carful its a small peice and can be lost easy!

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
If it's got fuel spark and air it'll run. Or atleast spit and sputter and try to run.

It's missing one of the 3 at some point in the system. You've checked for spark with the plug that's in it? and you're sure the carb jets aren't plugged? it's actually getting gas down past the reed, not just to the float bowl?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^ you forgot compresion ;)

but i found out if i sprayed gas/oil strate into the carb it will start and stay running... but it wont start if i dont do that... i just cleaned the carb... still nothing... when i took it all apart i took of the radiator... and when i put it back together i dident put it back on... but still tryed to start it... and when i found out that when i sprayed gas in the carb it would run so i put the raiditor and everything back on it was leaking antifreeze all over the place so im putting new gaskets every were on the bike soon... so ill get back to it and tell you guys how it runs and if it was a compresion issue... but what is the compression suposed to be in a 93 yz80

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
even with shit compression it'll spit and sputter and try to run.

I'm not sure on the 80 but I wouldn't worry unless it's below 100psi.

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
oh this might sound stupid, but you DID turn the fuel petcock on right?

god knows I've done that before and been scratching my head as to why it won't start.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh this might sound stupid, but you DID turn the fuel petcock on right?

lol ya i did... i let my friend ride my other dirtbike b4 and i forgot to turn the gas on so he it started and he ran all the fuel that was in the carb and then had to walk it home :D so i learned to always check :D..

idk if i mentionded this in the other post but.. i got it running... but i still have to check the clutch so i couldent shift into 1st... and im to lazy to push it up a hill and pop start it :p

but i let it runnning and i dident have the radaitor on so i turned it off and and put it on and noticed that antfreeze was leaking out of everywere the bike is a 1993 so im guesseing no one ever replaced the gaskets and im doing it all this weekend... along with putting a new clutch and repainting it :D

but i forgot to mention i dont think its getting gas pass the reeds cuz to start it i would have to spary gas strate into the carb... but it would stay running till it would get hot and then i turned it off... but would bad compresion make gas not go past the reeds.... will my gaskets fix this?

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
no gaskets won't fix that. if it's cranking over ok then the reeds are cycling certainly I'd bet dollars that there's something wrong in the carb.

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
lol, well just cleaning it probably isn't gonna solve the problem if it hasn't solved it the first 2 times. I'd be more worried about checking the functionality of the important bits. Particularly the needle valve, and make sure there's no obstructions in any of the jets. I mean even leaving the bowl off and hooking up the fuel to see if it pisses all over the floor will atleast tell you something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
were does the antifreez pour out? if its at the water pump then a new gasket will fix it. if its coming out the radiator then you need a new radiator.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol, well just cleaning it probably isn't gonna solve the problem if it hasn't solved it the first 2 times. I'd be more worried about checking the functionality of the important bits. Particularly the needle valve, and make sure there's no obstructions in any of the jets. I mean even leaving the bowl off and hooking up the fuel to see if it pisses all over the floor will atleast tell you something.

lol ok ill try to see if the gas runs throu it all in about 3 hours :D

were does the antifreez pour out? if its at the water pump then a new gasket will fix it. if its coming out the radiator then you need a new radiator.

it comes out the side of the cylinder and i see it dripping from the bottom of the motor but it might be dripping from some were else so im just ganna replace all gaskets

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok... so gas is getting to the bowl... and ive taken the motor of the bike and got it all apart to put new gaskets in it... now i just have to wait for them to come... and now i think i found out what was wrong with the clutch and see if i can fix it and get back to you guys about that (to much to explain if i dont fix it i will explain it :D)

but sence gas is getting to the bowl... why wont it start... it will start when i spray gas derectly into the carb throu the air filter hole thingy (lol i really have to find names for this :D) does this mean that gas is not getting pass the reeds from the bowl? and if it is... how would i fix this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how would i unblock them :p lol you want me to clean the carb again? (that is were the jets are right) haha kinda new to this did it with 3 other motors but never a dirbike one :D

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
unblock them with a SMALL rate file, or a pipe cleaner, or compressed air. Shit, you can do it with a torch if need be. Altho I don't recommend that.

Normally clearing all the jets is a standard part of cleaning the carb. Holding the jet up to the light you should be able to see the light down thru the center of the jet. The fiche diagram should show you how it all comes apart. If it's a mikuni which I think that one is, you need to worry especially about the pilot jet, main jet, the needle seat and the air screw. Any or all of them might be plugged.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts