Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 ttr225, will not start. I have 155psi, spark, and have put starting fluid in cylinder and nothing. To get the starter motor to overcome the compression i have used a car battery. Even though i have a new bike battery with it the starter will not turn the motor over. I am at a lose of what to.do.. the spark looks good pulled starter it free spins and spins fine with with power. And with the car battery it will turn the motor over fine. I.have bypassed all wiring going directly to the starter wires with car battery. Have pulled the carb now to rebuild it. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
A, have u checked that u have spark at the sparkplug while turning over, B, was it running b4, or did u purchase as a non runner, C, ignition/timing could be 180 degrees out, still firing on a compression but wrong order.
Sorry, dont know what a ttr225 is, single/ twin etc, but thats what id be looking at first

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks,, it is a single piston yamaha dirt bike, made before the yamaha 230 came out.. so, i was told to check the shear pin, something i have encountered before with a snow blower.. but did not think of it with a motorbike.. the mechanic said it is actually common and can happen when you bog down the machine in 3rd gear.... so i have it pulled apart waiting to find a 16 x 1.5 bolt to pull the fly wheel.
A. yes i checked for spark it is there - it is consistent, but not as bright as the 2016 ttr 230 i have..
b. was told it was running, but no i have not seen it run, bought it as is.. feeling kind of dumb right now for trusting.. but oh well kind of fun to figure it out.. if i do haha
c. how would i check to see if i am 180 out?
thanks.. i hope to find a bolt tomorrow.. autozone said they had them, but they could not put their hands on them two stores said they had it in inventory, but before going there they tried to find them haha.. so much for that idea.. lowes and home depot only carry bolts up to size 12mm..

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks,, it is a single piston yamaha dirt bike, made before the yamaha 230 came out.. so, i was told to check the shear pin, something i have encountered before with a snow blower.. but did not think of it with a motorbike.. the mechanic said it is actually common and can happen when you bog down the machine in 3rd gear.... so i have it pulled apart waiting to find a 16 x 1.5 bolt to pull the fly wheel.
A. yes i checked for spark it is there - it is consistent, but not as bright as the 2016 ttr 230 i have..
b. was told it was running, but no i have not seen it run, bought it as is.. feeling kind of dumb right now for trusting.. but oh well kind of fun to figure it out.. if i do haha
c. how would i check to see if i am 180 out?
thanks.. i hope to find a bolt tomorrow.. autozone said they had them, but they could not put their hands on them two stores said they had it in inventory, but before going there they tried to find them haha.. so much for that idea.. lowes and home depot only carry bolts up to size 12mm..
For 180 deg out, or just to check timing, remove timing cover(generally the plate on the right side at the bottom of the cylinders), (check right/left for wiring).
Remove spark plug, and with care and a spanner on end of crank, rotate the crankshaft untill the timing marks line up, if ur spark has fired just b4 this is correct.
I would remove the camshaft cover and also hav a look at the position of the valves, this can b a great help 4 u to make sure u have it right!.
Hope all it is, is the shear pin but if not good luck, atleast is only a single

1 - 4 of 4 Posts