Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok: so here is the thing. I have just recently purchased a new 2009 WR450F. So its time to start with the mods. I have heard that there is a grey wire somewhere that if cut gives the bike a bit more mumbo. I am thinking that it must disconnect the rev limiter or something like that and assume that it must go into the CDI box. What I have read is that this mod almost turns your WR into a YZ. I realise that not ALL the internals are the same as a YZ; but a bit more mumbo never hurt anybody right? Anyway I was just wondering has anyone else tried this before and did it work? If it did; where exactly is the wire? and how was it done? Any replies would be much appreciated. CHEERS Raymond.:scooter:scooter

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Here is what I was able to find for you... :)

See pic below:

The Grey wire is in the middle of the clear connector and should be removed - for reasons see elsewhere!

It is easy to push the PIN from the connector on the CDI side.

First pull the connectors apart, then insert a small flat blade screw driver and push against the terminal from the inside, it should slide out. Otherwise, you can lift the small retaining clip that holds the pin (use a very small srew blade) and pull the wire gently, should pop out easily.
Put a dab of silicone for water proofing; you can see the white blob in the picture, then tape/shrink wrap the wire (mine is shown bare).

Push all connectors back together - reassemble bike.
PRESTO, Grey Wire Mod complete.

WR450F 06 CDI - removed from Bike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what I was able to find for you... :)
Thanks for the quick reply R1Lover. I had a good look around the "ThumperTalk" website and found plenty of references to the grey wire mod. It seems that there are two ignition maps [the WR map and the YZ map] By disconnecting the grey wire I will access the YZ map and everyone on the "ThumperTalk" website seems to think that I would never look back. Anyhow; I have decided to go with the disconnection and not "cut" anything so that things can be returned back to normal if things don't go as well as planned. Thanks again for the research and the quick reply as it has helped me a lot and now its on this forum hopefully others will find it interesting as well. CHEERS MATE...........Raymond.:yahoo:yahoo:yahoo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Grey Wire Mod

Thought I would get back to inform anyone interested that the grey wire mods works. While not turning the bike into a rocket ship; it is certainly noticeable and well worth the effort. We did the mod to two bikes before a ride on the weekend and both of us thought the same that the bikes had a bit more punch coming out of a corner when you were in the widrange. Both bikes seemed to rev a bit harder with each of us saying afterwards that we would not go back and reconnect the wire; we were both very happy with the mod. We would strongly advise anyone to try this on their WR. You wont be sorry. :beer Raymond.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grey Wire Mod

Consider installing a water-proof switch on the grey wire. All you do is cut the wire and add a switch. Locate the switch on the handle bar and you will be able to control the ignition mapping for various riding condition. When you are ridding in a muddy and tight location you will probably want to use the WR ignition mapping ,which provides "softer" - more controllable power. When you ride wide open trails then you simple flip the switch for the extra punch. One thing you have to know...in order to change mapping you have to shut the bike down, flip the switch and start the motor again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the mod today on a 08 model, the plugs are slightly different to the 06' plug, but the grey wire is still there, just de pinned and heat shrunk cable, it seems to give a bit more power. I am thinking of hooking it up to a switch so its easier to test with switched in and out.

Il keep you updated with how I go.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
after reading this i went out took my bike fora ride than come home disconnect the grey wire and went for another ride. And to tell the truth i didnt notice much if anything at all. i didnt go for a big ride but the bike felt the same so i connected wire back up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just wondering, is this mod possible for the 2011 wr450f? Also does anyone know what other mods i can do to it from factory? Ive taken out the exhaust restrictor and also have removed the crap throttlestop.

Last night I performed the grey wire mod on my 2011 WR. Going by the mixed reviews I was not expecting much.... Then I took it out today with great results.:evil

I don't think this mod gives more power as such it's more like where the power hits and when. Straight down low and hard with a smooth mid and top so now after 3 months I'm finally happy I got a four stroke. (I’m getting old but not that bloody old lol)

The bike is a 2011 WR450F. Australian Learner legal, and registered. The only mods I have done are the grey wire and an exhaust baffle I found on fleabay. Some guy makes them here in Aus and a very nice note over stock too! Best 50 bucks I spent in a while. (I doubt it’s road legal as its basically a billet insert copy which are readily available in the US) Fortunately It came with the YZ throttle stop installed. There is no AIS gear on the aussie models as the blanking plate above the exhaust flange was already in place unless I’m seriously missing something. Anyway after such good results and a lot of reading I am slowly learning more about these complex engines. I can’t stress enough to always read and research! If something goes wrong chances are it happened to someone else first and they will be more than happy to share.

The CDI on mine was under the left airbox shroud and is indeed a clear six pin plug as promised. I unplugged the six pin from the loom and removed the grey wire from the CDI end of the six pin. Have a look at the dude on YouTube modding his 06' 250 and you will see how to unplug that pin properly.:bangwall

Now remove (DON'T CUT) the grey wire out of the six pin and tape it back over itself to stop it grounding to the bike. Seal it up real good and all your other plugs too. Then retape and zip tie anything that needs it. Easy as and takes just minutes on the 2011 WR's.
Take it out for a spin and see if that has “uncorked” your bike. If not then “balls” you might need to rejet. I will be keeping a close eye on plug colour over the next few rides just in case.

I’m more than happy with my bike now, however I still think I just got lucky and found the right mix without the big $$$$. The USA WR’s might need an AIS kit. Also I found no air box restriction on mine.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had different results with 2011's here in Aus….. Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok: so here is the thing. I have just recently purchased a new 2009 WR450F. So its time to start with the mods. I have heard that there is a grey wire somewhere that if cut gives the bike a bit more mumbo. I am thinking that it must disconnect the rev limiter or something like that and assume that it must go into the CDI box. What I have read is that this mod almost turns your WR into a YZ. I realise that not ALL the internals are the same as a YZ; but a bit more mumbo never hurt anybody right? Anyway I was just wondering has anyone else tried this before and did it work? If it did; where exactly is the wire? and how was it done? Any replies would be much appreciated. CHEERS Raymond.:scooter:scooter
Hey mate first mods I done were throttle
Hey guys did the throttle stop and air box mod on my 07 wr450
Hey guys I've recently done the grey wire mod and have noticed a difference. It's More snappier power in the top end doesn't feel so sluggish anymore red lines quicker. Better response basically

1 - 19 of 19 Posts