Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been hoping to seriously get a bike this past year, but with a newborn son and not a whole lot of extra cash, it hasn't been the most feasible thing to do. I'm sort of partial to Yamaha's due to the fact that my Uncle in-law sells them. (He sells a few other brands, but there's something about Yamies).

I digress. One of my coworkers recently told me to rebuild a bike instead of trying to build new. It'll give me something to do and it'll be relatively cheap. Just the other day I find out there's a 81' 650 special for sail for $400 with most of the fixin's to make it a 750. So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for it.

My question to everyone, Is this a wise endeavor, or am I throwing away $400?

·
Life: Tragedy or Comedy
2,843 Posts
:welcome

It's quite a gamble when buying such a bike/project. You may get something good. You may get something that is a money pit. If you're really looking to do it, I'd say bring someone along who knows bikes well and how to fix them. That $400 project could turn into a $1200 two year project that you still wind up getting rid of because there's too much work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:welcome

It's quite a gamble when buying such a bike/project. You may get something good. You may get something that is a money pit. If you're really looking to do it, I'd say bring someone along who knows bikes well and how to fix them. That $400 project could turn into a $1200 two year project that you still wind up getting rid of because there's too much work.

Thanks for the great advice. I'll definitely be taking that into consideration. I'll let my friend come and check it out. He's rebuilt a few of them now, so hopefully he has a good idea of reasonable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts