Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share the final pictures of my Frankenstein bike build. The bike is an original 1989 FZR600. After a low side and some surgery on my collar bone, I came across a good deal on some parts. Basically, everything snowballed from there.

The only thing original is the frame and side fairings. Here is a list of all the mods:

1993 VFR750 swingarm / wheel
2006 YZFR6 forks / wheel / brakes
2000 YZF600R Tank
2005 YZF600R engine / radiator
2006 YZFR6 Scorpion Exhaust
1995 YZF600R supersport tail w/ Duc 748 tail light
1992 FZR600 front fairing
1992 FZR1000 headlight - German model
OSF rearsets for a 2004 GSXR1000
Fox Shock
Vapor Digital Gauge cluster

I think I'm done with it except for maybe giving it a better paint job. Unless I find the fuel injection system from the Bimota YB9SRI...

·
Registered
10 Posts
question i see that you put 06 r6 forks on your bike do you happen to know if they would fit my 08 r6s. by the way bike looks good i think it looks sweet with the flat black paint job

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I love the bike and the look with the flat black.

I had a custom bottom clamp made to take the FZR steering stem and the R6 forks. So my set up is a little different.

Your R6S is like the 03-04 R6. The 05 R6 had inverted forks, but Yamaha changed the frame neck to take the forks. I know people have put the inverted forks onto the 03-04, But I'm not sure of any mods that have to be done to get them to mount up. I'm also not sure if Yamaha changed the frame back to the 03-04 spec when they introduced the 06 R6S.

I'd bet they would bolt up, but I'm not 100% on that. I do know that the forks are a little shorter than the R6S forks. One thing I do know is that the 03-04 R6 and 06-09 R6S forks are the same.

Hope this helps.

·
This guy....
110 Posts
That bike is fun to ride and that rim looks soooooooooo nice when it's rolling! Rob, I need to get that YZF750 already so we can hack into it:muahaha

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About time you showed up here. Take a look around. Lots of nice bikes here. And the only place that has info on the R7.

·
This guy....
110 Posts
Yeah man, I was searching out 750 threads last night for a while......paid holiday today thanks to the snow:dance

·
Registered
4 Posts
1989 fzr600

did the swing arm bolt right on or did u haft to tweek and will a r1 swing arm fit tryin to get wider tire and goin to put r1 tail on and street fight front and will a 750 motor fit in the frame?????????any answers would be app. and thanks:hammerhead

great bike by the way i lov anything franksteined

·
This guy....
110 Posts
In no way shape or form is that a bolt on mod. He actually cut the frame among other things. NO, the R1 swinger won't bolt right up either. I had an R6 swingarm on my 400 and had to cut the frame down as well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is not a swingarm that will bolt onto the FZR600 frame except the FZR600 and FZR400. The YZF600 swingarm is the easiest one to fit and gets you a 160 tire. The R6 and R1 swingarms require the same amount of work to fit. Both require some cutting on the swingarm and frame to get in. Then the suspension linkage is a little tricky as well. The VFR swingarm is the most involved and costly.

There are no "bigger" engines that will fit into the FZR600 frame. The YZF600 engine will, but that is it. The R6, R1, and YZF750 frames will not fit. And they require too much modification to the frame to safely work. Last person to try it, got the engine installed but the frame cracked in half the first trip down the road.

There is an engine mod that might work for you though. The 660 engine. It is a FZR600 lower end with the pistons and top end of the YZF600. It yields 661cc and about 105hp at the wheel.

But honestly, I would go buy a cheap R6 for all the mods you are talking about. It would be a better platform to start from.

·
cntryboy85
5 Posts
There is an engine mod that might work for you though. The 660 engine. It is a FZR600 lower end with the pistons and top end of the YZF600. It yields 661cc and about 105hp at the wheel.
I have a 95 fzr 600 that is tired apart right now and my buddy and I are trying to figure options and the only thing I have seen is the yzf motor swap. What all do I need to do this 660 engine?can I keep my stock jug or do I need the yzf? Does the year matter? Any guidance would be great. I know I'll never get the power of a modern bike but I love that I have a bike that not a lot of people have seen.
Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 95 fzr 600 that is tired apart right now and my buddy and I are trying to figure options and the only thing I have seen is the yzf motor swap. What all do I need to do this 660 engine?can I keep my stock jug or do I need the yzf? Does the year matter? Any guidance would be great. I know I'll never get the power of a modern bike but I love that I have a bike that not a lot of people have seen.
Thanks

The YZF600 THundercat engine is again the only one that is a direct swap. As for the 660, there are a few ways to go about doing it. I was going to do a complete YZF600 engine with a FZR600 crank. Most people use the FZR bottom end and the YZF top end (Con Rods, Pistons, Barrels, and Valve Head). One person has figured out how to manipulate the conrods to take the yzf pistons, but he still used the YZF barrels and valve head. You will need to run the FZR electronics becuase of the timing rotor. Most people use a Ignitech programable TCI for that. You will also need the YZF carbs, and a 95/96 YZF600 air box - the 97+ will not work. Bad part about the FZR electronics is that you will not be able to take advantage of the TPS on the 97+ carbs.

Now after tuning, most people are landing around 105hp at the rear wheel. That is in the neighborhood of the newer 600 bikes. Anyone that says they are getting 115hp at the rear wheel on the newer bikes is full of shit anyway. But you should have more torque than the newer bikes as well.

If you are interested, I'm not going to build my 660. I would be willing to sell off the parts. Let me know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
nice looking fzr do like a bike that's been changed and hacked around , I would paint the front wheel white to match thou
top marks to u

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really liked the mixed wheels. It caused your eye to focus onto the back of the bike. Doesn't matter though. I parted that bike out years ago. Only think I have left is the frame and front wheel.

·
cntryboy85
5 Posts
The YZF600 THundercat engine is again the only one that is a direct swap.

If you are interested, I'm not going to build my 660. I would be willing to sell off the parts. Let me know.
i found some one on fzronline who told me that the 03 parts would work so i picked up the complete head, jugs, pistons, chain tensioner. i did not get the con rods. i was told that i could bore the pin hole for the pistons out i believe it was 0.018mm to accept the yzf pins so i will see how that works out. what all do you have as far as parts and prices you are looking at selling. i am definitely interested in them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts