Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
I Pimp the Post Whores
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AnyBody have One or a few ?
Im going to get my first tank since i moved out,
and was looking for some idea's. I'm Not sure if I Plan on going Salt, Freshwater or ReefLife? have alot to think about!

So if you guys want to post pics of your tanks and your Fish, feel free! I would also like some discussion on set-up's and Do's and Donts of taking care of the tank, I would appreciate it alot!

thanx...J$

·
I Pimp the Post Whores
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like a frog!

I Have 2 turtles, But i gave them to my Friend
because he has a 125 gallon tank, with 2 other turtles...
I'll post pix when i can!

So theres now 4 turtles and a bunch of goldfish (20+ large feeder fish)
and i have a few japanese red crabs in there as well!
(I bought all the cool stuff and its not even MY tank)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I used to have a salt water tank before the Ice Storm hit Canada... :cry

My advise to you is, salt water fish tank can be a money pit, if you don't plan on spending a lot of money, then don't go for salt water tank, just buying those live rocks to fill the tank will cost you a bunch. Plus a salt water tank cannot be too small, 25 gal is like the bare minimum, and at this size it isn't that great to maintain, the bigger the better.

I love salt water species though, one day I want to have another tank.

:)

·
Legal!
4,779 Posts
i actually used to build them learned alot kept my own for quite a while, i have had reefs, mini reefs, fish only, and fresh.... IT IS A MONEY PIT!!! and if you dont do it right it will be a wasted money pit...get a good book!! go to barns and nobles and get a good book... you can have a saltwater tank of any size i kept a 3 gallon tank on my counter with 2 clownfish and some anenomeis...the hardest part is keeping the water perfect...that is why its easier to have a much larger tank, a good size to start is about 65 gallons that gives you some wiggle room with the ph, and the amonia levels... i could go on for hours though lol.. basically you want eveything to be quality...cycle your water for about a week....get the ph, and the boyancy perfect and maintain it...get a sick tank or separate tank, and lots of water...go to a pet store and you can buy the precycled water from them about 5-6 dollars per gallon....also you want about 1 lb of LIVE ROCK per gallon that will also keep amonia levels from spiking and plumeting...you need a good filter, sock filters do the job very nicely along with a good protien skimmer and calcium reactor...hope it helps a little...ther is much involved in setting up a tank, and getting it right...good luck

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
i actually used to build them learned alot kept my own for quite a while, i have had reefs, mini reefs, fish only, and fresh.... IT IS A MONEY PIT!!! and if you dont do it right it will be a wasted money pit...get a good book!! go to barns and nobles and get a good book... you can have a saltwater tank of any size i kept a 3 gallon tank on my counter with 2 clownfish and some anenomeis...the hardest part is keeping the water perfect...that is why its easier to have a much larger tank, a good size to start is about 65 gallons that gives you some wiggle room with the ph, and the amonia levels... i could go on for hours though lol.. basically you want eveything to be quality...cycle your water for about a week....get the ph, and the boyancy perfect and maintain it...get a sick tank or separate tank, and lots of water...go to a pet store and you can buy the precycled water from them about 5-6 dollars per gallon....also you want about 1 lb of LIVE ROCK per gallon that will also keep amonia levels from spiking and plumeting...you need a good filter, sock filters do the job very nicely along with a good protien skimmer and calcium reactor...hope it helps a little...ther is much involved in setting up a tank, and getting it right...good luck
Ah nice to see another member into the same interest... :mrgreen

3 gallon tank? Damn that must be pretty hard, but I think you can do it is because you have multiple tanks and you can just get the water from your other tanks? Cause I cannot see how anyone can keep a 3 gallon tank going good if that's his/her only tank... :dunno

Good advice, get a good book if you want to start. There are actually a few different methods to create/keep the "ocean environment". I remembered the shop I used to go all the time, they were trying this method on couple of tanks that doesn't need all those gadgets and stuff, it's a more natural method, but it wasn't easy to start.

J$, if you do start one, I recommend not to put any fish in it before a month. Make sure the water is stable.

By the way, I hate those bristle worms... :shoot :mrgreen

·
Legal!
4,779 Posts
Ah nice to see another member into the same interest... :mrgreen

3 gallon tank? Damn that must be pretty hard, but I think you can do it is because you have multiple tanks and you can just get the water from your other tanks? Cause I cannot see how anyone can keep a 3 gallon tank going good if that's his/her only tank... :dunno

Good advice, get a good book if you want to start. There are actually a few different methods to create/keep the "ocean environment". I remembered the shop I used to go all the time, they were trying this method on couple of tanks that doesn't need all those gadgets and stuff, it's a more natural method, but it wasn't easy to start.

J$, if you do start one, I recommend not to put any fish in it before a month. Make sure the water is stable.

By the way, I hate those bristle worms... :shoot :mrgreen
:mrgreen:mrgreen

lol...the 3 gallon tank had a tiny little wet dry hooked to the back of it, it also had a tiny skimmer on it as well, took some trying but i finally got it stable after about 2 months i had to change the water often though. lol....then i moved and kissed that fugger goodbye..:mad

yeah i know its hard to find people that are into keeping fish...its a hard thing to do, and its very time consuming as well, kinda why i havnet started another one yet...

as for the book to get here is what i considered the bible...
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Aquarium-Definitive-Identifying-Freshwater/dp/1859670814
a couple bucks that could save you hundreds or thousands...and what valerossi said was right let it cycle for about a month before adding any fish...it sucks ass but its worth it when it comes out right. if you want one or two fish...grab a damsel...they are very hardy and can withstand the spiking amonia levels in an uncycled tank.

there is a shop in lake oswego oregon, that has a tank taht is running "naturally" they dont have any biological filtration hooked up to it its just mechanical to catch the particulate, and they have such an array of animals that is truly like nature...to get that going is a feat...lol!!:eek:ld

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
by reading your questions, you're a first timer.

go freshwater to begin. just keeping fish alive is a bitch enough without dealing with the asspain of saltwater.

50 gal tank is a good size tank. get a good stand too.

best to use an external filter, not the type that hangs on the side of the aquarium. mine is Fluval brand.

fill the tank, start the filter, and run for a week with no fish. add bacteria stimulants. after a week, get a FEW fish, none that you feel any special attachment to. every two weeks, do a 25% water change. after a month, add more fish if things are going well.

once you start to see bacteria forming on the glass, but algae eaters. i've got 2 in there.

down the road, if you decide to go salt, just empty the tank, clean it out, and start over. 50 gal is a good size for salt.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
:mrgreen:mrgreen

lol...the 3 gallon tank had a tiny little wet dry hooked to the back of it, it also had a tiny skimmer on it as well, took some trying but i finally got it stable after about 2 months i had to change the water often though. lol....then i moved and kissed that fugger goodbye..:mad

yeah i know its hard to find people that are into keeping fish...its a hard thing to do, and its very time consuming as well, kinda why i havnet started another one yet...

as for the book to get here is what i considered the bible...
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Aquarium-Definitive-Identifying-Freshwater/dp/1859670814
a couple bucks that could save you hundreds or thousands...and what valerossi said was right let it cycle for about a month before adding any fish...it sucks ass but its worth it when it comes out right. if you want one or two fish...grab a damsel...they are very hardy and can withstand the spiking amonia levels in an uncycled tank.

there is a shop in lake oswego oregon, that has a tank taht is running "naturally" they dont have any biological filtration hooked up to it its just mechanical to catch the particulate, and they have such an array of animals that is truly like nature...to get that going is a feat...lol!!:eek:ld
I must admit, you got a 3 gal tank running is pretty amazing... :yes

Yes it's very time consuming, and :dolla consuming, this is why I'm holding out on it also, but once everything is more stable in life, I definitely want to have another one... :yes

And J$, if you do choose the salt water route, just don't put any type of species in there because it looks cool, lol trust me, some species just don't get along with others, and some(i.e. Coral Shrimp) might come out to eat your other small species at night while they're sleeping... :fact :lol

By the way, try to get a Flame Scallop, one of my favorites and definitely one of the coolest species I've ever owned... pictures won't do justice because you cannot see the "effects"... :yes

·
I Pimp the Post Whores
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx guys for all the cool tips and advice!
I Have a dog, but i love fish and underwater Life. I'm definetly getting a Tank,
And yes I already know that it will start to get a bit expensive over time!
*(those Live rocks and Coral are sooo Cool)

The size tank i plan on getting is either a Regular (Rectangled) tank.(55 gal)
or either a 46 or 72 Bow tank...(w/ the front glass arched out towards you.)

So anyone got pics of their set ups ???

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

·
Legal!
4,779 Posts
Thanx guys for all the cool tips and advice!
I Have a dog, but i love fish and underwater Life. I'm definetly getting a Tank,
And yes I already know that it will start to get a bit expensive over time!
*(those Live rocks and Coral are sooo Cool)

The size tank i plan on getting is either a Regular (Rectangled) tank.(55 gal)
or either a 46 or 72 Bow tank...(w/ the front glass arched out towards you.)

So anyone got pics of their set ups ???
no pics on my laptop....:nowhine but it doesnt get expensive over time lol!! it get expensive at the start....its about 25 dollars per bag for "live white sand"probably about 3-4 bags, 8-20 for per lb for "live rock" with organisms 1lb per gallon, and then water i you get stores pre cycle water, i think for when i got my 65 started it was like closing in on 1000$ withought any fish.:yes have fun with it though ou can do alot of different things with a marine aquarium, but also the same with freshwater.

·
I Pimp the Post Whores
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats Crazy Hornet! $1k just for water ??
why cant you just Make your own?

My friends dad, has salt tanks and he even made his own filters!
told me he'd teach me all i have to know! w/ all the chemical balancing,
and illnesses fish may have..

Really looking forward to this, I Found a 42 bow , with full stand
under cabinets and Lights for under $400..Black Oak..very nice!

Will post pic once complete!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Thats Crazy Hornet! $1k just for water ??
why cant you just Make your own?

My friends dad, has salt tanks and he even made his own filters!
told me he'd teach me all i have to know! w/ all the chemical balancing,
and illnesses fish may have..

Really looking forward to this, I Found a 42 bow , with full stand
under cabinets and Lights for under $400..Black Oak..very nice!

Will post pic once complete!
I think HornetR1 meant $1K for all the equipments/rocks/water/etc. except fishes...

Yes you can make your own, I didn't buy any water from the shop, I made my own water with special salt, live rocks, and a special filter... like I said, wait at least a month before putting any fish in the water, make sure the water is stable first... actually, if I'm going to do my next tank, I would even wait like 2 months...

:corn

·
I Pimp the Post Whores
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Again great Tips guys....
hopefully i wont be the only one benifiting from them!

I didnt know to let the water settle for over a month!
Also the fact about not just throwing any fish in there w/o knowing
how they will react with other creatures in the tank!

the guy @ the fish place helped me alot w/ my old fresh water,
but it was Mostly all agressive w/ Chiclids of all kinds...he Told me
not to put North American's with the Africans and they got along just fine!

i did alot of shyt he told me not to, and it all worked out fine so, sometimes i just blow him off!

*He told me i can put Fresh water fish in a salt tank too? is this TRU ?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts