Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 20 of 448 Posts

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys knew it was only a matter of time before I whored her up over here....:lmao

I'll start with a few pics in the beginning....1998 R1 I bought in 2000. OG red and bone stock.

Teardown begins....

Bodywork before going to the painter...

Bodywork AFTER going to the painter....

First ride....

First trackday....:badteeth

·
mod impersonator
3,221 Posts
that bike is pure sex on wheels:fact

jray02r1
jesse

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First CRASH.....Big Willow, lowside in T3, September 2005. Only did about $300 worth of damage. Very lucky.

Should have learned my lesson the first time.....

Carrozzeria wheels and Galfer waverotors that lasted exactly 1 month before I came to my senses....

Marchesini wheels, Brembo rotors and HP calipers....better. :workout

2006 Long Beach Cycle World Show.....and Rossi's M1 :badteeth

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
And then......that fateful day in September at Buttonwillow.

Here's the last pic I have of her in one piece.

And then, high-side in T15, coming on the front straight running CCW. Second session of the morning, and a guy had already crashed in the same corner in session one. Never even got to the stripe....she just came around. I broke the windscreen on my way over, tumbled once, and ended up sliding on my back, watching her go end over end twice before coming to rest.

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
BUT.....

She will rise again. Watch this space. She's supposed to be in the Long Beach Cycle Show on December 7th, and she WILL be ready.

Going with a 2001 frame this time, so the tank and tail will be slightly updated. Getting the frame right from Yamaha ($1370...yikes), and it will be going to the powdercoater as soon as I get it.

She won't be the same bike second time around....she's going to be BETTER. I should be putting up the build thread in about two weeks. Just don't want to do it until I have all the parts ready to go together.

:hello

Looking forward to the re-birth of the R1 beast
Thanks Biga :thumbup

·
mod impersonator
3,221 Posts
crazy guy...

jray02r1
jesse

·
Registered
566 Posts
like a Phoenix . . . can't wait to see the new version . . . gonna be hard to top that work of art . . . but I know you will :thumbup

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whats the ETA on the re-build? You still shooting for that show?
yup....and i think i'm gonna make it. got everything but the frame and front fender, and they should be in this week. bodywork will take a month or less at the painter and the frame should be ready to go from the powdercoater in just a few days. i'm trying like hell....we'll see. :fire

1 - 20 of 448 Posts