Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIA summons Renault over spying charges

By Jonathan NobleThursday, November 8th 2007, 13:21 GMT
Former world champions Renault have been summoned to appear before a hearing of the FIA World Motor Sport Council next month to answer charges of spying.
With the sport still reeling from McLaren's exclusion from the Constructors' Championship for their involvement in a spying affair with Ferrari this year, Renault now find themselves dragged into a similar controversy.
Renault were dragged into the matter when McLaren investigations into their own spy controversy revealed that a former staff member had allegedly taken several CDs worth of data to the Renault team.
McLaren's lawyers duly brought the matter to the attention of the FIA on the eve of their own hearing in September, which prompted the investigation by the sport's governing body. This has resulted in the decision of the FIA to summon Renault representatives.
A statement issued by the FIA on Thursday said: "Representatives of the Renault F1 Team have been requested to appear before a hearing of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Monaco on Thursday, December 6, 2007.
"The team representatives have been called to answer a charge that between September 2006 and October 2007, in breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code, the Renault F1 Team had unauthorised possession of documents and confidential information belonging to Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, including, but not limited to the layout and critical dimensions of the McLaren F1 car, together with details of the McLaren fuelling system, gear assembly, oil cooling system, hydraulic control system and a novel suspension component used by the 2006 and 2007 McLaren F1 cars."
Renault boss Flavio Briatore told Gazzetta dello Sport in September that he was confident the team would not be found to have done anything wrong, having cooperated fully with the FIA investigation.
"We told the FIA what we had, so there's no problem," said Briatore. "I don't know what Dennis refers to, he's throwing stones a bit everywhere. We are calm, no problem at all."

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
:rofl

The drama continues... :lol

The truth always flows to the top eventually... :fact

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
alright, charge them $100m too, and then they can charge Ferrari for having stolen something of theirs.

It's a good time to be in the FIA.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Renault responds: No data on our cars.

Saturday, 10th November 2007

No McLaren design on our car and we are confident in the World Council states Enstone squad.

Having been summoned to appear in front of the World Motor Sport Council, Renault has issued a lengthy statement to clarify its position in the latest twist to the Formula 1 spying saga.

In the statement, the Enstone-based outfit confirms that a team member – engineer Phil Mackereth - was in possession of information from McLaren, who he left to join the regie in September 2006.

More than twelve months later, in September this year, senior officials within the team discovered that Mackereth had brought information with him from Woking – including McLaren engineering drawings and some technical spreadsheets – which were loaded onto his personal directory on the Renault F1 Team file system, without the knowledge of any authority figures within the team.

Once the technical management within the team discovered that situation, the information was cleansed from the team's computer systems and a full investigation started. Mackereth was also suspended from his post and both McLaren and the FIA were informed. The floppy discs containing the data were sent to Renault team solicitors to then be returned to McLaren.

Although admitting that there was McLaren information within the team, the statement added that it had not been used in the design of Renault's race car.

"Our formal investigation showed that early in his employment with Renault, Mr Mackereth made some of our engineers aware of parts of this information in the form of a few reduced scale engineering drawings," the statement read. "These drawings covered four basic systems as used by McLaren and were: the internal layout of the fuel tank, the basic layout of the gear clusters, a tuned mass damper and a suspension damper.

"Subsequent witness statements from the engineers involved have categorically stated that having been briefly shown these drawings, none of this information was used to influence design decisions relating to the Renault car.

"In the particular case of the tuned mass damper, these had already been deemed illegal by the FIA and therefore the drawing was of no value. The suspension damper drawing hinted that the McLaren design might be similarly considered illegal and a subsequent clarification from the FIA confirmed this based upon our crude interpretation of the concept."

The statement added that Renault is prepared to let independent experts from McLaren assess its computer systems and inspect its race cars to show that no McLaren designs have been used and said the team was confident that it would be cleared when the WMSC meets next month.

To read the statement in full, CLICK HERE.

:corn

·
Registered
301 Posts
who cares, i sure don't

they sux for just gettin caught

+1

who doesnt cheat? Almost everyone cheats, it's all about getting that edge...

in motorsports, in sports, in LIFE....if you aint cheating you aint trying :moped

and to those that would discredit that.....I'm sure you put in 8 HOURS of 100% work every single day, with no distractions and never straying to a website other than work related? :lmao

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
and to those that would discredit that.....I'm sure you put in 8 HOURS of 100% work every single day, with no distractions and never straying to a website other than work related? :lmao
:imwst

and this is why, when I was managing people, I didn't give a shit if they screwed around on the job while I was managing. So long as the job was done, I didn't really care. Nomatter what, some how they'll manage to shaft the system. I'd rather they do it in a way that I can keep track of, rather than behind my back.

·
Registered
301 Posts
:imwst

and this is why, when I was managing people, I didn't give a shit if they screwed around on the job while I was managing. So long as the job was done, I didn't really care. Nomatter what, some how they'll manage to shaft the system. I'd rather they do it in a way that I can keep track of, rather than behind my back.
yup. It's the old phrase, tell me WHAT to do, not HOW to do it. If I can get it done in 4 hours and then fook off afterwards, then so be it.

Actually, in a former life when I was a (gag) operations manager, we actually only calculated 7.2 hours of work from an 8 hour work day. The rest was fook-off time we knew people would do. That number, more accurately is probably 4 hours of REAL work in an 8 hour day.

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
Ya but you hit the nail square on the head. So long as what I need them for is done.... who cares? I mean if they wanna surf the net, talk to their friends on the phone, jerk off in the bathroom, whatever. So long as what I need for them gets done, and they don't publically humiliate the company, I don't much give a shit. I mean hell, if the work is done and they wanna play poker, I'll play with 'em.

People ridiculed it, but me and "my guys" where the ones that consistantly "got it done" at the end of the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts