Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Life: Tragedy or Comedy
2,843 Posts
Nearly any extended warranty is a waste of money. The only exception would be if you got a laptop, then it's good to have if it's also a replacement coverage in case of breakage.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
They sell them for one reason...the odds are in their favor. Odds are you won't need it or else they wouldn't sell it :) or the odds are it won't cost as much you paid to fix whatever. It's your call but i've never bought one personally on any vehicle or anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is the theory behind ext warr's:

If some thing is going to break:
1. It is going to break early, therfore it will be covered under the manufacturer's warr.
2. It is going to break after it's serviceable life...i.e. after the extended warr. expires.

A very small percentage of items (all product types) don't follow this model. So they charge you extra $ to warr. a time period that statistically has the lowest chance of having a claim.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Here is the theory behind ext warr's:

If some thing is going to break:
1. It is going to break early, therfore it will be covered under the manufacturer's warr.
2. It is going to break after it's serviceable life...i.e. after the extended warr. expires.

A very small percentage of items (all product types) don't follow this model. So they charge you extra $ to warr. a time period that statistically has the lowest chance of having a claim.
:imwst i mean its like $1800 for one for a bike right. shit you can b uy another motor with low miles for that.

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK
2,704 Posts
I have never purchased one or had the need for one so far. Knock on wood. :hammer:hammer:hammer

Ride safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think the Yamaha warranty is not that high.. heard some people buying online for cheap.. like $400 or so. dunno what they cost now, but i thought it was like $7-800. if u use it once it pays for itself. tho its just like insurance. hope u never need it, but its good to have. plus could help sell bike later if it has warranty. but i would never buy warranty that wasnt the yamaha YES brand. aftermarket warranties are not that good and usually cost more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
bought one for mine $700 for 4 add'l years. better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. i've been pretty lucky with ext. warranties on all my vehicles,toys etc.. and have gotten more out than i paid for them.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
bought one for mine $700 for 4 add'l years. better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. i've been pretty lucky with ext. warranties on all my vehicles,toys etc.. and have gotten more out than i paid for them.
you have been lucky, or maybe unlucky haha i have had them and never needed them

·
Registered
20 Posts
you have been lucky, or maybe unlucky haha i have had them and never needed them
most people wont if they take care of it and keep it out of the weather. but after 4 years of sitting outside, the electronics can take little punishment. any of the sensors are over $100 and high priced ones like ECU are almost 800$ or so. really its just a safety net. with few bearing problems with 04-06 and few 07's... thats about $4k job. we have 07 in shop now with nice 3 inch hole in block, that yamaha is paying for. it spun bearing and i guess guy kept riding it till it windowed the block. so new cases, 4 new rods, 1 new piston, and whole set of other parts plus labor... it can be expensive.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
most people wont if they take care of it and keep it out of the weather. but after 4 years of sitting outside, the electronics can take little punishment. any of the sensors are over $100 and high priced ones like ECU are almost 800$ or so. really its just a safety net. with few bearing problems with 04-06 and few 07's... thats about $4k job. we have 07 in shop now with nice 3 inch hole in block, that yamaha is paying for. it spun bearing and i guess guy kept riding it till it windowed the block. so new cases, 4 new rods, 1 new piston, and whole set of other parts plus labor... it can be expensive.
damn. i try and take care of my bike(04)r1 but its a race bike so oil is changed etc about every 200 miles. no problems yet knock on wood.

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
gotta love genesis motors.

let me guess, cylinder #3 with the hole eh?

·
Registered
20 Posts
gotta love genesis motors.

let me guess, cylinder #3 with the hole eh?

yep.. #3 with 3 inch hole. entire wrist pin complete was in oil pan. didnt touch head.. dont know how, but valves didnt hold liquid so they orderd them as well. first 07 ive seen with problem, but several 04-06's
rod broke in funky ways. it broke in 1/2 but not normal way. one half of rod with bolt still hold top and bottom 1/2 together.. cept it didnt have other half of top or bottom. it would not have killed it if guy would have stopped when it started knocking.. but he kept riding it from looks of it. entire pickup was full of bearing material.... if it did knock rod out in a hurry it wouldd not have to all that stuff in pickup.

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
I haven't seen it yet on an 07 either. But I've seen many many older ones like that. This is usually how it goes tho, couple months of seat time without a problem, and then they start coming in.

depending on how the rod-knock started, it might have all been over before he knew what was going on. I mean if it clacked and he shut it down, but didn't pull the clutch, let the slipper do it's thing. It'd be torn apart by the time he got to a stop.

My question tho, is why is it always #3?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts