Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edwards confirmed at Tech 3

By Michele LostiaTuesday, November 13th 2007, 09:55 GMT
The Yamaha Tech 3 team have confirmed the signing of riders Colin Edwards and James Toseland and the supply of Michelin tyres for the 2008 MotoGP season.
The French outfit had already announced the signing of World Superbike champion Toseland in the summer, while Edwards was widely expected to join him from the works Fiat Yamaha team.
The two riders will take the place of Sylvain Guintoli, who moves to the Alice d'Antin Ducati team, and Makoto Tamada, who is expected to retire from the series.
"I'm honestly really excited about coming to Tech 3," said Edwards. "I think the overall package that Yamaha has put together for next year - four good bikes and four World Champions and four different crews giving Yamaha a whole lot of information means we will be on the pace from the start and it's pretty exciting.
"I've known Herve well and I know that Tech 3 is a very good outfit and I'm also really looking forward to sharing a garage with James. I'm positive that it's going to be a great team."
Toseland added: "I am over the moon about coming to MotoGP. It seems to have been a long time coming to get this opportunity but it has come at the right time and is the opportunity of a lifetime.
"It is a massive transition in my life to make and I am really looking forward to it. I don't know who was happier as my mum was in tears when we got the news!
"I am really thankful to Yamaha and I appreciate the chance they have given me and I want to thank everyone for the opportunity they have given me. I have met Herve on a couple of occasions and he is a genuine nice guy and I truly feel the Tech 3 Team will be a good place to start my MotoGP career so it's nice to be welcomed into the team.
"It will also be good to be working with Colin again as we have had a 10 year separation. He has said some really nice things in the press as to how he will help me. We get on really well together so I think we should make a good team.
"I've been employed to do a serious job so I am not coming in with the mental attitude that there won't be any pressure on me; there will be and I want to do the best job possible and be near the front."
Tech 3 also announced two weeks ago that they would not continue their partnership with the Dunlop tyre manufacturer next year.

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
Bummer for Dunlop. They were just starting to come around this year. No teams to run 'em next year.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
This was expected when JT signed... doubt he would have signed this quickly if he's getting Dunflops... :yes

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Eeeeep, Colin is good, and I"m a big fan of his.... but he's not gonna stop Mladin. Not in this lifetime.
What about putting Mladin on a track outside of the US? :mrgreen

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
What about putting Mladin on a track outside of the US? :mrgreen
He's already made an attempt....and found himself back in the US, very very comfortable. He'll retire in the AMA.

And....I do believe Colin could give Mladin a run...in 2009, they're both going to be joining the geriatric AMA Club of America...and having to deal with the Herrins and the Eslicks...:fact

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
He's already made an attempt....and found himself back in the US, very very comfortable. He'll retire in the AMA.

And....I do believe Colin could give Mladin a run...in 2009, they're both going to be joining the geriatric AMA Club of America...and having to deal with the Herrins and the Eslicks...:fact
Herrin and Eslick are good, no doubt, but unless the way you have to ride an AMA superbike changes fundamentally in the next couple of years, they aren't in danger.

Barring the spies factor, it's the old farts that are dominating AMA. When you have to have throttle and brake control to win, the old farts dominate, when you've got electronic assistance out the waa-zoo, young guys with better reflexes have a better chance.

The average age of GP world champions is plummeting like a rock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts