Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
98-03 R1 = 40-50MM or 1.57-1.97" from edge of lower fairing.

04-06 R1 = 20-25MM or 0.79-0.98" from the edge of lower fairing.

07 R1= 30-40MM or 1.18-1.57" from edge of lower fairing.

You notice there are differences in the measurements between the years. The reason is that the lower fairing edge hits the swingarm in a different place on different years. It may seem like it is very loose but the swingarm needs to be able to move with the suspension.

Ride safe

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
Just my .02 - add a 1/4" - 1/2" to those numbers if you are going racing or ride track days in an Int or Adv group. At a race most the tech's wont let you pass with a chain that is set to factory specs, at least thats been my experience.

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just my .02 - add a 1/4" - 1/2" to those numbers if you are going racing or ride track days in an Int or Adv group. At a race most the tech's wont let you pass with a chain that is set to factory specs, at least thats been my experience.
The biggest problem I find is that people don't understand exactly where to take the measurement from when adjusting the chain slack. They take the measurement from the wrong place and end up with the chain slack out of spec and still way to tight.

If the measurement is taken from the correct location and set to spec, the chain is pretty loose and should be good for any conditions.

Ride safe.

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
I usually measure mine where they show it in the Owners manual which is roughly at the back of the plastic chain guide on the front of the swing arm. Is that the correct spot?? Also, I take both measurements from the top of the chain. I have seen some people take a measurement from the top of the chain when they push up and the bottom of the chain when they push down...that makes for a really tight chain too.

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I usually measure mine where they show it in the Owners manual which is roughly at the back of the plastic chain guide on the front of the swing arm. Is that the correct spot?? Also, I take both measurements from the top of the chain. I have seen some people take a measurement from the top of the chain when they push up and the bottom of the chain when they push down...that makes for a really tight chain too.
The location to take the measurement from is different for each model. Obviously, that is the reason that the measurements are different when you look at the different years specs.

If you notice the 04-06 has the smallest amount of slack of all the years. The reason is that the measurement is taken much closer to the front sprocket than other models. The closer you measure to the front sprocket you will have more chain slack.

(04-06) If you are taking your measurement from the rear of the chain guide, then you are to far back which results the chain being to tight. If you have the stock rearset on then you draw an imaginary line from the rear bolt of the heelguard and that is where you take the measurement from. If you don't have stock rearsets, then you would take the measurement from drawing an imaginary line from the rear edge of the plastic piece where the chain guide mounts to the side of the swingarm (behind the rearset).

I take the measurement from the Link pins since it is the center of the chain. This removes the problem of taking the measurement from the top or bottom of the chain.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok, so on a 2007 where should i check? I am gonna be running race fairings so i can't use the stock lower fairing to guide me....o and when i check it, do you just lift up on the chain and make sure its between 1.18 to 1.57....i hate to be a NOOB on this but i am getting read to spend $200 on a chain kit and i don't want it to be to tight or too lose...thanks guys

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the 07-08 use an imaginary line where the edge of the rear (wheel) and the swingarm intersect with each other. (not the tire or swingarm brace). I use the link pin to take the measurement from. If you want to start your measurement with the chain just hanging down then yes you can just measure by pushing the chain up and then letting it return to its resting position.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
^^^ So basically i could take a straight edge, rest it on the swingarm pointing in toward the edge of the wheel itself?? Also, if i am letting the chain hang freely (normally) then i just lift up on it 1.18 to 1.57 inches and im ok??? just trying to get a visual...o and is this with the bike on the kickstand or up on race stands?? thanks guys

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^ So basically i could take a straight edge, rest it on the swingarm pointing in toward the edge of the wheel itself?? Also, if i am letting the chain hang freely (normally) then i just lift up on it 1.18 to 1.57 inches and im ok??? just trying to get a visual...o and is this with the bike on the kickstand or up on race stands?? thanks guys
I will try to get you some pictures and better reference points to go off of since your going racing, and you will most likely be changing sprockets and adjusting the chain more than the norm.

Unlike some previous models, Yamaha does not give exact numbers of where to measure from a specific bolt or object on the 07 R1.

Using the edge of the wheel is just a reference point to give you something to go off of, but your straight edge would be like this (/) not a straight up and down line. Hard to explain in words on here, so lets just forget the wheel as a reference point, and I will get you some vertical reference points as soon a I have the opportunity.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please keep tech info in the proper section so it does not create confusion between models.

Thank you,

Ride safe.
Doh!
Sorry about that. Thanks for catching it.
:eek:ld ...must have been a senior moment.

Here's the '04 - '06 R1 info:

Attachments

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
where does the manual say to check? Should be near the middle of the chain between the sprockets in nearly all manuals. Your manual should state though.

Your right. The center of the chain between sprockets (not the center of the swingarm).

What we are trying to do though is give a reference point on the swingarm for ease of measuring on models that the manual does not give exact information on. Some models like the ones that Bill A posted up give you some exact places to take the measurement from. However, the 07 manual does not.

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
gotcha r1master. i don't have an 07 r1 here at the moment and have never heard someone give a reference point. Always just did it in the middle and figure if someone can't find the middle they shouldn't adjust it LOL

Good info in here though guys...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts