3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***SPOILERS***
***SPOILERS***
***SPOILERS***

:yred :yred :yred :cool

Macau: Plater wins again!

Saturday, 17th November 2007

Steve Plater claimed his second Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix victory in succession in the 41st running of the Far East classic today (Saturday).

But the 34-year-old British racer had a massive stroke of luck on the 15th and final lap of the event when he and rival John McGuinness, on the Stobart Vent Axia Honda, encountered two lapped riders at the Melco Hairpin.

McGuinness, winner of the race in 2001, had the consolation of setting a new lap record for the event at 2min 26.096secs (150.80kph).

Plater was able to pass them and pull away to win by over four seconds on the AIM Racing Yamaha 1000, while McGuinness who was baulked by the two riders having their own private battle could only watch as Plater pulled away.

There was even greater disappointment for Michael Rutter, looking for a record-breaking seventh win in the race, who did not even have the consolation of a podium finish.

The Kawasaki star was forced to take to the slip road at the 90 degree Lisboa corner three laps from the end when Austrian rival Thomas Hinterreiter (Austria Racing Team Yamaha 1000) rode side-by-side with him towards the turn.

American Jeremy Toye (Lee's Cycles Racing Suzuki 1000) had his best ever finish in Macau by taking fourth place but well over 30 seconds behind the top three.

Manxman Conor Cummins, the youngest rider in the race at 21 years-of-age, was fifth home.

Steve Allan, the 33-year-old from Perth, Scotland, was winner of the 600 Class for the third year in a row, on the AIM Racing Yamaha 600.

He beat German Rico Penzkofer (Austria Racing Team Yamaha 600) by over 12 seconds.

Another Scottish racer Callum Ramsay (Solent Scientific Honda 600) was third.

:yred :yred :yred

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Macau: McGuinness, Rutter 'gutted'.

Sunday, 18th November 2007

Macau stars Michael Rutter and John McGuinness were both left 'gutted' during Sunday's 41st edition of the Far East street race.

Stobart VK Vent Axia Honda rider McGuinness was holding a slender lead when, on the fifteenth and final lap, the 13 times TT winner came upon some backmarkers at the Melco Hairpin.

The 2001 winner had to shut off to avoid a collision which allowed rival Steve Plater through to snatch his second successive Macau victory - leaving a bitterly disappointed McGuinness with the slim consolation of a new lap record. McGuinness' team-mate Ian Hutchinson was forced to retire with a fuel-related misfire.

"I really feel for the team out there, they've done a fantastic job and both John and Ian have been incredibly unlucky," said team owner Paul Bird. "Once again, they proved that they were the men to beat in practice and to come away without a win is soul destroying. But then again, John never seems to have any luck out there, I've told them both to go and drown their sorrows!"

Also with good reason to drown his sorrows was pole sitter and joint Macau record-holder Rutter. The 34-year-old Aviva MSS Discovery Kawasaki rider had been hoping for a seventh Macau win, but was left without even a podium after being forced down the escape road at the 90 degree Lisboa corner three laps from the end when Austrian rival Thomas Hinterreiter rode side-by-side with him towards the turn.

"I'm gutted," confessed Rutter, who eventually finished eleventh. "These things happen in racing but this isn't the result we came all this way for, nor is it the result me and the team deserved after an excellent couple of qualifying sessions. I've got to put this behind me now and look forward to next year. I'd like to think I will be back here again in 2008 to get a record seventh win, as Steve's got some way to go to catch me up!"

"To say that we're disappointed is an understatement. To be on pole position with a lap of that calibre and then to end up in 11th is simply devastating," admitted team owner Nicky Morgan. "It is one of those things but it seems to have summed up our luck this year - almost non-existent!"

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Michael Rutter Macau 2007 - images courtesy of the Macau GP Committee

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
good one val.

plater really worries me, he has always been a headcase and now he's doing more & more road circuits. hope he stays safe as well as fast.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good one val.

plater really worries me, he has always been a headcase and now he's doing more & more road circuits. hope he stays safe as well as fast.
He was actually kind of lucky in this race, I watched it live, McGuinness was on his tail all the time, especially the last few laps, however a few backmarkers helped Plater during the last lap that discarded any chance for McGuinness to make a pass.

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts