Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here bought a pc with vista and went back to xp? How should I go about doing this? Or is it too much of a hassle and I should just stick with it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
XP cannot install to a Vista formatted volume due to minor changes in the
implementation of NTFS, so what you will need is a clean install. First,
you'll need a full version disk of XP with Product Key, then boot the system
with the CD and start setup. At the point where you choose the installation
location, delete the existing system partition/volume. Then create a new one
from the free space, format it (quick format is ok here), and proceed to
install. Some caveats:

a) All data and programs that currently exist on the drive will be erased by
the above actions. Backup data to removable media (do not use Vista's backup
program, just copy data). Programs will need to be reinstalled from their
original installation media - something you may not have with a preinstalled
system.

b) the manufacturer will likely not support the machine in this state without downgrade
rights, and you should also check that they can supply supporting drivers
for all the hardware under XP as some of it may not be native to an XP
retail disk. The manufacturer will likely require you to put Vista back on for any
warranty service. You may want to check with manufacturer to see if downgrade rights
are available to you as this would allow you to obtain an XP disk from them
that supports the machine's hardware and not invalidate the warranty.

·
My R1 makes me HORNY!!
460 Posts
rm -Rf /dev/hda1 ? Oh wait, nevermind. ;P

Once I learnt all the nuances of Vista I actually found it quite good to use. I write software for a living so I'm fairly particular about my OS.

If you're going to go back to XP though, do as was suggested above and do a complete format, re-install. These upgrade, downgrades or crossgrades are bad news.

GL! :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do you want to remove Vista?

It's really a great OS, once you learn it and get things setup properly.

What is the issue?
things are just too slow even with 2 gb of ram, xp was a lot faster with only 512mb ram. That's my issue with it

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
things are just too slow even with 2 gb of ram, xp was a lot faster with only 512mb ram. That's my issue with it
I see, what version are you running? You can go in and shut down the fancy areo interface and some other Vista extras that will make it run much better and more like XP. This would be a lot easier then installing xp.

They say once you do this is runs great on lesser machines. I'm running it on a new machine I built with 4gb of ram and a q6700 quad core processor so I guess that's why I have had such good luck with it.

Here are some optimization tips for vista

1. Disable Windows sidebar. Well known to take processing power.
  2. Disable on-screen mouse. Learn how to use the mouse without the on-screen version. Saves memory and processing power.
  3. Disable indexing. This tends to keep the disk working overtime. Highly recommended.
  4. Reduce screen candy. Go to Performance Settings and change the setting to "Adjust for best performance" and then re-enable visual styles.
  5. Disable Windows Defender. Its a security hit but personally, I think its worth it.
  6. Get all current Windows updates and then turn off auto update download (switch to notification only.)
  7. Disable anti-phising filter in IE7. This is a killer.
  8. Switch to 16-bit screen. I always use 16 bit if I remember. It saves a lot of screen memory and if you're browsing, you rarely notice it.
  9. Optimize your power settings. If you need performance, make sure your CPU is free to run up to full speed. Max battery settings tend to lock the CPU down to lower speeds. (600Mhz on a Pentium-M, 400Mhz on a Via C7-M)
  10. Pre-fetch/Super-fetch hacks. This is a tip from Origamiproject forums. I have tried it and I liked it! See here for more info.
  11. Test out readyboost. Its not one I can recommend personally as I've never tried it and I've also seen reports of people trying it out and seeing no benefit. You need to test it out.
  12. Consider disabling handwriting learning. Its a service that takes memory and processing power.
  13. Remove background tasks. As you install software you'll always get a build up of unwanted services and processes. Real, Logitech, Adobe and all anti virus packages put software in the background that at the minimum take memory but in the worst case take CPU and Internet bandwidth. If you're on a limited 3G plan, the last thing you want is Firefox downloading 2MB of program file in the background. There are tools around to clean these processes up so its advised to use them.
  14. [added 29th Oct 2007] Disable the touch input panel on-screen tab (left or right of the screen) as this can interfere with Video performance.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I really dont mind Vista, I have it on one of my desktops at home. The only reason i use it though is to test out my software after coding changes. It is a resource hog but I don't feel it that much because it is on a pretty powerful pc..

Check this out as well. It may be your ticket out of Vista..

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2007/09/microsoft-reveals-windows-vista-sp1-will-install-xp.html

That was so good I have to paste it... :lol

Redmond, WA – In response to customer demands Microsoft announced that instead of patching bugs and improving features of Windows Vista in the next service pack release, they would just install XP.
"We're focused on giving the customer what they want, and want they want is to just go back to XP," said Microsoft Development Chief Greg Elston.
Elston said not only will the move improve customer satisfaction with Vista, but will allow the company to focus resources on the next operating system instead of the flailing Vista. "We can move people off of Vista development now, and move them to Windows 7 development," said Elston. "That should allow us to only delay Windows 7 by thirteen months past its scheduled date instead of the planned eighteen."
Customers have had many complaints about Vista, so it wasn't surprising the response to the move was mostly positive. "Ever since I install Vista I've wanted to go back to XP," said Trey Sportia. "I'm glad Microsoft has given me an easy downgrade path."
Some customers complained about paying for Vista when all they'll end up with is XP which they had already. Elston said that "if people read the license agreement they'll see this is perfectly within our rights. Anyway, we're calling it Vista XP, so it is new in a way."
Elston also added that if people complain too much they'll just revert to Windows ME.

·
Motha Russia
1,424 Posts
I love Vista, have it both on my desktop and laptop ;)

I however did play with the OS for two weeks before I figured out what worked best, and still learning.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
BEST WAY TO REMOVE ANY OS IN YOUR PC

1. Power down the PC;

2. Unplug everything attached to the PC;

3. Open the window, recommended on the highest possible floor;

4. Count 1-2-3 and toss it right out the window.

Voila and you're done.

:shagz

·
Motha Russia
1,424 Posts
BEST WAY TO REMOVE ANY OS IN YOUR PC

1. Power down the PC;

2. Unplug everything attached to the PC;

3. Open the window, recommended on the highest possible floor;

4. Count 1-2-3 and toss it right out the window.

Voila and you're done.

:shagz

Why throw out a perfectly good computer, when it is just as easy to throw yourself out the window :crash

Spoiler:
BTW Kenshin, this is just a joke don't do it bro........:r1lover

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Spoiler:
BTW Kenshin, this is just a joke don't do it bro........:r1lover
Spoiler:

I wasn't joking. Don't listen to Biga, he doesn't know much about PC.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts