Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Major Member
2,244 Posts
adds look awesome....at least the visuals are stunning. i'd love to go, but i know it's not the wife's cup of tea.

of course, they had to drop the "I AM BEOWULF" line in there that will no doubt be manipulated all over youtube to techno music and the like.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The mother in this version is much hotter than the one in 2005... :crash

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
of course, they had to drop the "I AM BEOWULF" line in there that will no doubt be manipulated all over youtube to techno music and the like.
THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! :lol

·
doomsday machine
1,751 Posts
It can't be any worse than the 1999 crapfest starring Christopher Lambert (but not one that's such a crapfest I won't watch it -- it's a funny kind of bad, and there's one set of :faceboobs in there so it's at least tolerable).... The CG looks pretty slick though. I'll probably see it at some point.

·
Anti Post Whore
459 Posts
I'll probably go see it, but I don't really like it when they use CG to enhance the actors looks...Looks animated to me..

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
I haven't seen the movie, but here's a brief synopsis of the book

Act 1
Spoiler:
Big king has a problem in the form of a troll that's kicking the shit out of him and his people. He gives a call to his nephew, Beowulf, who basicly comes, saves the uncle, kills the troll (grendel) by pulling it down from the rafters so hard that it leaves an arm dangling up there. Troll crawls off and dies of it's wounds.

act 2
Spoiler:

Grendels mum comes to town pissed off 'cause Beowulf left the arm dangling from the rafters where everyone can have a good party in the mead hall and celebrate the fact that he's dead and they're free. Mummy comes in, takes the arm, kills some dudes and books for her underwater cave. Beowulf tracks her down and kills her

Act 3: this is where it gets innovative and interesting, and odds are the movie won't cover.
Spoiler:
Ragnar (the uncle) grew old and passed the kingdom on to his favourite little kingdom saving nephew. Many years down the road, old king Beowulf has a big problem in the form of a dragon that's come to town and is thrashing shit up. Try as he might, he's unable to slay the big fugger. BUT as luck would have it, he's got a nephew.... nephew comes, sees, conquers, but in the process of slaying the dragon, Beowulf dies, passing his sword and kingdom onto the nephew. Thus bringing the story full circle, and taking a hero from the young upstart world saver, to the old king passing the kingdom onto his star nephew on his deathbed. Definitely the first time in literature that I've seen it, and actually one of the best done. Particularly since it was done in old english (like as in before the saxons did some come-see-conquer of their own and fubar'd the language.)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
ok, so it does seem pretty interesting.

i think, that i will be pickin up the book 1st. and wait until it comes out on dvd

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
No worries man, s'definitely worth a read. Just seriously, get the modern english version, old and middle english are a bastard. You should also know that it's an epic poem, not really a novel.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I haven't seen the movie, but here's a brief synopsis of the book

Act 1
Spoiler:
Big king has a problem in the form of a troll that's kicking the shit out of him and his people. He gives a call to his nephew, Beowulf, who basicly comes, saves the uncle, kills the troll (grendel) by pulling it down from the rafters so hard that it leaves an arm dangling up there. Troll crawls off and dies of it's wounds.

act 2
Spoiler:

Grendels mum comes to town pissed off 'cause Beowulf left the arm dangling from the rafters where everyone can have a good party in the mead hall and celebrate the fact that he's dead and they're free. Mummy comes in, takes the arm, kills some dudes and books for her underwater cave. Beowulf tracks her down and kills her

Act 3: this is where it gets innovative and interesting, and odds are the movie won't cover.
Spoiler:
Ragnar (the uncle) grew old and passed the kingdom on to his favourite little kingdom saving nephew. Many years down the road, old king Beowulf has a big problem in the form of a dragon that's come to town and is thrashing shit up. Try as he might, he's unable to slay the big fugger. BUT as luck would have it, he's got a nephew.... nephew comes, sees, conquers, but in the process of slaying the dragon, Beowulf dies, passing his sword and kingdom onto the nephew. Thus bringing the story full circle, and taking a hero from the young upstart world saver, to the old king passing the kingdom onto his star nephew on his deathbed. Definitely the first time in literature that I've seen it, and actually one of the best done. Particularly since it was done in old english (like as in before the saxons did some come-see-conquer of their own and fubar'd the language.)
Wonder 1:
Spoiler:

In the movie you told me to watch, Grendel cut off his own arm to escape. I wonder how he will lose his arm in the new movie? :crash

Wonder 2:
Spoiler:

In the new movie trailer, we can see a dragon, not sure if that's the same as the ending you posted.

:corn

·
Life: Tragedy or Comedy
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No worries man, s'definitely worth a read. Just seriously, get the modern english version, old and middle english are a bastard. You should also know that it's an epic poem, not really a novel.

It's definitely an incredible read. Think of it as being similar in reading to Homer's "Iliad", TH White's "The Once and Future King", etc. I've enjoyed it since I was a kid.

This is the version I have of the book now: Beowulf (Bi-Lingual version)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts