Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

Any advice?

7K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  R1Lover 
#1 ·
Ok...I know we have a few parents on the board, and I'd like to pick your brains.

My daughter is 1 week shy of 4 months, and she is already teething. Her father went to Mexico for 5 days leaving me here with her, (no big deal I wanted it that way).

Well about 2 hours ago (an hour after he had left), she started screaming when she was just laying by herself. I went and picked her up, and she stopped screaming. So I figured she was hungry or she needed her diaper changed. I checked to see if she was hungry, she wasn't. I checked her diaper, wasn't dirty, but maybe was irritating her. She didn't have diaper rash but I went ahead and put desitin on her to be safe. She was still screaming, so I checked her gums, and they're no more red then they have been since she's teething. I checked to see if she had a fever, it was 100. I called her Pediatrician and told them what was going on. He told me to go ahead and give her a dose of her baby aspirin medicine, and that she was probably just cranky because she was teething.

This whole time I have been holding her except for when I changed her diaper. So, I gave her the dose that the Pediatrician told me, and that seemed to help for about 30 minutes. I put her down after I got her to go to sleep, and she slept for about 5 minutes without me holding her, then she started screaming, (I mean it sounded like someone was doing something to hurt her). I picked her back up and she was still crying, but not as hard. After about 10 minutes of me holding her, she quieted down and fell back asleep. I tried putting her down again, and the same thing happened.

I want to know if any of the parents on here have any suggestions. Right now she's sleeping, (and I'm not holding her and she's not screaming), but it seems that something is really bothering her today. Could it be colic? I've never had her act like this before, EVER. What else could it be that's making her scream in pain, even though nothing is wrong?

I've already called her Pediatrician again, and he said that it's just teething pains, even though I already gave her her dose of meds. He said just wait it out, and if her fever comes back to give her another dose of the meds. He also said that if she seems like nothing else is working by tomorrow morning, to bring her in and they'd check her over to make sure about everything.

(I know this is long, but bear with me.)

Question is have any of you guys had your child do this? She hasn't had colic at all, could this be the startings of it? What other suggestions do you have? It's hurting me to hear her cry out in pain. Do I just wait it out like the doctor said, or would you take her in?

Please give me any suggestions you have. Thanks guys,

Brandi

See less See more
#2 ·
What are you feeding her?

We went through the same thing if it makes you feel better... it was a combo of colic and also the formula we were feeding her gave her really bad gas... not the farting kind but the type that would give her a tummy ache and that was why she was screaming. We went to Goat's milk believe it or not and that did the trick for us. she was on that until she was a year old then we went to normal milk.

On of the best things were gas drops, those seemed to really help her.

At this age her stomach is still developing and learning to cope with all these acids and such... it's take a while for there internal organs to adapt to this and learn what to do.

#31 ·
:imwst

My son started Colic just shy of 4 months..After going to the doctor numerous times, found out he was allergic to breast milk..So we used goats milk..It digests differently than other milks...

I feel for ya...Nothing worse than having a child in pain, and not being able to do anything.....

#3 ·
I agree with R1Lover, gas is a possibility. But I also know that both of my two used to be very similar during teething, we used that gel you put on there gums to numb them on occasion when it was really bad and at night to help them fall asleep. You dont want to go overboard with the stuff but it works.

#4 ·
Does she refuse the bottle after a couple of drinks from it? Does she drink a couple of times, then fuss, the drink, then fuss?

It could be an earache or ear infection that has creeped up on her. Every time she swallows, her jawbone pressures the ear and irritates her. This could explain the fever as well.

#7 ·
Really good point there....would explain why she is more comfortable being held by you, you are probably holding her in an upright position that is relieving the pressure.

I should have thought of this too..our oldest was horrible with ear infections.

#5 · (Edited)
We're feeding her Enfamil. She is on Gentle Ease, so it relieves gas better than the others. I've given her gas drops, and she doesn't seem gassy, and she's not throwing up, or spitting up. We've already had to change her formula from regular Enfamil to the Gentle Ease. The Pediatrician also has us use the Lacto Free Enfamil.

I wish I had the orajel to use, but I don't. :(

When she eats, she eats the whole bottle (4 oz). She doesn't fuss when she eats, and her ears don't look red...Could it still be?

I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid and over-reacting since I'm home alone with her. :shrug

#6 ·
We're feeding her Enfamil. She is on Gentle Ease, so it relieves gas better than the others. I've given her gas drops, and she doesn't seem gassy, and she's not throwing up, or spitting up. We've already had to change her formula from regular Enfamil to the Gentle Ease. The Pediatrician also has us use the Lacto Free Enfamil.

I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid and over-reacting since I'm home alone with her. :shrug
kids don't get fevers just because their mothers are paranoid.

#9 ·
My first thought is gas..Mylicon works best..

Next would be ear infection, the fever and the screaming when laying down is the big givaway here... not to be parinoid, but take her in to kids doc, the sooner shes on an antibiotic, the sooner she gets better...

#16 ·
Pay attention to the ears.. if she starts pulling at her hair..won't lay down.. Ask the dr because they don't always know..

Both my kids ended up with tubes.. aside from the earplugs at bath/shower time, I haven't seen any drawbacks.

Rileigh had about 6 ear infections in 6 mons.. Gavin, the younger, had 4 and we went to the ent... it's an immediate fix..

#17 · (Edited)
She doesn't really mess with her ears, or her hair. She puts her hands in her mouth and sucks on them, so I think that's from her teething. But I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the ear/hair pulling. She is sleeping right now (finally).

I had bad ear problems too. I think I went through 5 sets of tubes in my ears before I was 2. I still have really sensitive ears.

#19 ·
Something else to keep in mind is that she's starting to get to the age where kids need to see their parents. So, if you have her somewhere she can see you while you do things, that can help as well. Beyond that, then they'll be in the stage where they want you to hold and carry them all the time. But, that's usually once they start crawling/walking IIRC.

#26 ·
To get though the night...being upright will help.. Give her some infant motrin, put her in her jammies, put her in the car seat and take a drive, let her fall asleep. Take the car seat in the house, and let her sleep in it.. Loosen the straps a little.. sounds silly, but it's a way to keep her comfortable..

#27 ·
lol, All I have to do is pick the car seat up with her in it and swing it on my hip and she's asleep in like 5 minutes. Which I just did. :) (I called my mommy and she told me to do just that. :lol) She's spent many a night so far in that car seat. It's like another security blanket for her. :lol

But I wouldn't take her for a drive in daddy's "Stang" :no...That car's too expensive for me to touch unless emergency.:eek:h

#30 · (Edited)
my daughter is 4 1/2 months get baby gas drops. if you have air in the bottles let out as much as possible if you have the playtex bottle drop in bags. also i learned this from my mom last month when i went home to visit to help with teething. get a egg put her name on it and put it in a black sock. tie the sock and put it in the back of a closet where you will forget about it. when the teething period is over you can do what you like with it. so far my daughter has been fine with teething no fits at all.

#32 ·
One of my twins spent the first 6 months sleeping in her carrier seat EVERY night due to severe reflux. keeping her elevated was the only way to keep acid from running up her throat and irritating her. Not to mention she had projectile vomiting for about 3 months. Every time she got fed she would launch it half way across the house when she would burp. No BS, them babies can puke for distance! (Forgot what it's called, but that little flapper valve in her esophagus wasn't fully developed yet and that's what was letting the acid run up her throat)

When she'd get up in the middle of the night I'd have to bust ass to get in their room and get her out of there before she woke her twin brother. Then I'd have to take her to the other end of the house, give her her bottle and rock her back to sleep while i slept on the utility room floor with her in the carrier and the oven fan running so the white noise helped put her out. LOOOOOONGEST 6 months of my life. I swore to God it was NEVER gonna end. Good thing I loved her to death.

#33 ·
LMAO...that's why you put the car seat by the bed. :lol

Her bassinet is in our room, and her crib is in the next room over, so when she's sleeping she's always close. Besides that I hear her when she even moves, and it wakes me up, so I don't have to RUN. ;)

Now I know why her Dad lets me get up at night all the time. Cause you guys are wusses. ;):lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.