Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? I am in the market for a new laptop. Looking at the Alienware Area51, Dell XPS, or Dell Precision. I like the XPS and the Alienware for the dual Hard drives and raid controllers. The Alienware also has a dual video card option. The precision is stable, not as fancy, but still fast, also doesnt have a built in numeric key pad like the XPS and Alien. But is cheaper buy close to a grand.

Any of the three would be maxed out for Processor, memmory, and video. The Precision oddly enough has the option for the latest CPU where as the Alien stops at the 2.2GHz extreme and the XPS at the 2.4.

If you're wondering whats it going to be used for, no games really. Mostly UG (3D solid modeling, work related), ACAD, web site maintenance, moderate Photoshop and video editing (Home stuff) and tons of office apps. I dont use a desk top so the lap top is the primary do all computer for me.

·
Lucky #13
333 Posts
macbook pro i what im using now. not a fan of windows but i have it on a seperate partition incase i need it. the new OSX is fucking insane.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you are going to have some one else build it.

I HIGHLY suggest ABS.

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
macbook pro i what im using now. not a fan of windows but i have it on a seperate partition incase i need it. the new OSX is fucking insane.
Its gotta be Windows in order to tie into my work network and run the CAD softs we are using.

·
Lucky #13
333 Posts
ABS? You lost me
a computer company that builds very "luxurious" computers. there is an argument in the overclocking community on whether they are worth it or not as Dell and Alienware both make very great laptops.

Its gotta be Windows in order to tie into my work network and run the CAD softs we are using.
you can dual boot, i run everything i need to do online with OSX but for work i can boot into windows when necessary (very rarely) but i like it cause its very stable and its just dam cool

·
Registered
566 Posts
No laptop use'n peeps hanging out on here yet?
have you looked at the new HP Pavilion HDX Entertainment Notebook PC - http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...ame=HDX_series&a1=Usage&v1=Extreme+multimedia

even has 1080P resolution, surround sound, 512mb video and Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Extreme Processor X7900 (2.8GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB), 2gb ram (standard up to 4gb) with a 20" widescreen :yes

just picked up a MB Pro for the GF, putting Leopard on it now as we speak :yes

Both are nice Kev.....If your not worried about cost. Alienware :mrgreen
someone mention ALIENS :rofl

·
Registered
566 Posts
HP info-

The best of genuine Windows Vista

Get more done, stay better connected, and enjoy a wide variety of entertainment in a more secure environment on the go. Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate, optional on the HDX, is the most comprehensive edition available. It combines all the management and efficiency features of a mobility-focused operating system and all the digital entertainment features of a consumer-focused operating system. An HP Pavilion HDX Entertainment Notebook PC preinstalled with genuine Windows Vista Ultimate makes it easier, safer, and more entertaining to use your PC virtually anytime, anywhere.

Premium dual-core processor

The Pavilion HDX features a dual-core processor for mobile computing—Intel's most energy-efficient performance processor, with enhanced multitasking responsiveness that is 64-bit enabled. The HDX comes with 2GB memory to support this powerful processing, or you can upgrade to 4GB for the ultimate in performance.

Stylish design
The HDX features a dramatic, high-gloss exterior with the latest HP Imprint finish and our exclusive dragon design.

Easy fingerprint security
There's no need to memorize multiple passwords anymore. Simply swipe your finger across the integrated fingerprint reader to log on to your HDX, as well as log on to password-protected Web sites and files. If multiple people use one computer, each can use their fingerprint to log on to their own account.

Mega entertainment

The ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 XT, which supports DirectX 10 graphics, delivers exceptional performance with visually intense applications and 3-D games. It uses ATI HyperMemory memory management technology to support 512MB graphics memory for superior visuals. The spacious, 20.1" WSXGA+ dual-lamp Ultra BrightView widescreen supplies brilliant, high-def playback and Web surfing at the same time. A dual hinge lets you tilt the screen and move it forward or backward for optimal comfort.

Four discrete Altec Lansing speakers and an integrated triple bass reflex subwoofer supply best-in-class audio; integrated amplifiers provide approximately 20W total output while supporting a full range of treble and bass for outstanding stereo. And the integrated audio processor supports the latest external PC speaker solutions for true HD audio with surround sound. Lastly, there's an integrated dock for the mobile remote.

Great for games and movies

The built-in HD DVD-ROM drive provides ultra-realistic high-def playback. You'll get astonishing 1080p resolution when viewing on an HD TV with an HDMI notebook connection. HD DVD resolution is far superior to that of regular DVDs, and even superior to what you'll see on most HD TVs.

TV, music, photos, videos

The integrated hybrid TV tuner lets you watch, record, and pause live TV. You can use ATSC to receive broadcast HDTV transmissions, or switch to analog for access to cable or satellite TV programming. You can use HP QuickPlay for access to DVDs, videos, photos, music, karaoke, streamed or recorded TV, and games–all at the touch of a button. And you can drag and drop to add music to slide shows or videos.

Excellent for self-expression

The HDX series includes full versions of the tools and software needed to capture, create and share your life experiences. muvee autoProducer lets you make great home movies and slide shows. Roxio Creator 9 supplies DVD authoring so you can preserve digital memories. And Serif WebPlus 10 lets you publish outstanding interactive Web sites.

Wide array of connections

The HDX comes with 4 USB 2.0 ports, an Express Card/54 slot (which also supports Express Card/34), an HDMI port, an S-Video, a VGA, an RJ-11, an RK-45, an IEEE 1394 FireWire, and a Consumer IR. A 5-in-1 digital media Card reader supports Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MultiMediaCard, and xD-Picture Cards. You get an eSATA port for high-speed data transfer to external storage devices up to six times faster than existing solutions, which is perfect for high-def video content recording. There's an integrated 802.11a/g/b/pre-N plus Bluetooth for highest-speed wireless connections. And the adjustable webcam with integrated microphones lets you capture still photos and short videos and for live video chat.

Attachments

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn....Awesome looking notebook for sure. I dont think I want anything bigger than a 17" though. I already have 3 bags for 17" laptops, my wife would kill me if I told her I had to replace em all. :rofl

·
Registered
566 Posts
spent a good portion of the day setting up my GF new MacBook Pro, installed Leopard, got it connected to my WiFi and downloaded all the updates to all her existing software, first time I actually spent a few hours playing on a Mac.

have to say I am very impressed, my next desktop is definately going to be the IMac. Leopard is so much better than Vista, and Safari blew me away at how fast it was.

the graphics & picture quality are unfookin believable :yes

·
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have heard that before....I just have so much PC based software I dont see the point of switching to the Mac just to emulate a PC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts