Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

Akuma Helmets ?????????

5K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  KenshinR1 
#1 ·
Has anyone dealt with these before. The graphics are off the charts and the quality looks great. We just got some in, but i'm curious if any of you own the current ones and what you think or if you have a review of them first hand? I know the magazines did reviews and loved the, but if any of you have a first hand experience it would be awesome.

#2 ·
The led's on this light up super easily and the button to turn on the rear led's (red) for safety and the front light to read a map, work on your bike in the dark, etc. Two tiny buttons are in the front of the helmet between the chin piece and the shield so you just reach up and turn it on/off. Can't see the wires or anything and to charge it there is a little piece that is flush w/ the bottom of the helmet. One charging gives you 14 hours of led time on the rear safety lights also.

Super comfortable from what I can tell also. Looks like the quality of arai at a better price. The designer use to do work for many of the other helmet makers also and they just decided to stop contracting out work all the time and do their own retail brand. They also have done work for police helmets as they install the wiring inside the helmets and still meet/exceed all the safety ratings. I'll get some close up pics as it is a pretty need lid. Was hoping someone on here could post up their opinion on them.

#10 ·
nope. they just shocked me when i saw the quality. arai best watch it.
You're joking, right? :lol

They're pretty much no difference as KBC in terms of marketing strategy and company wise. From reviews, it seems like they're very close to KBC stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if their products are made out from the same manufacturer as KBC. Yes I agree, they have some decent products for the price, but still not at the same level as the big boys yet, but of course, you get what you pay for.

:ride

#7 ·
I haven't either but then the reviews were in the mags and we looked into it and called them and they have been around for a while and we finally got the helmets in and my jaw dropped. Their goal is to get a high end, great quality helmet to the public at reasonable prices where you aren't buying "the name" like you do with some other helmets. We had some rx7's in stock and side by side there isn't a lot this is lacking.

they have a patented shield coming out in the spring where it will be smoke under the sun and be a clear visor at night. Won't be out till spring though they are saying.

#14 ·
that's about as mature as it gets when I ask you to post up factually why it costs so much more than other high end helmets. Adios...
:confused

#16 ·
it's very close to the weight actually and it has electronics in it and other things which add afew ounces. But i'll gladly weigh them for you, but since you're bashing it why not you post the weights or do you not even have them?

renaming the thread...someone put it back, but whatever
I posted this a few times before on R1F about different helmets weight, this site they keep the list pretty updated...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

The Corsair is not on it, but AGV Ti-Tech, Suomy Extreme Spec-1R, OGK FF4, etc. are all on them. As you can see, an XXL shell Ti-Tech is lighter than Akuma V1's L shell. 1/4 lb - 1/2 lb can make a huge difference in production cost.

I'm not bashing them, I did say they still make decent products.

:)

#17 ·
Damn good website, but that price difference for that weight is um...well LOL Like snair said, i had an arai also and when i took a spill it's a shocker to look at the helmet after a spill.

I know akuma's cost a bit more as they have to factor in the routing of the wires, battery, etc...I don't know how big of a difference the rear led's would make in safety, but the front light I can state i wish i had at times in the dark LOL

#18 ·
Actually, after reviewing the site again, the Akuma V1's weight is not bad at all, pretty close to the Ti-Tech, according to the site, the Ti-Tech XXL shell seems to be smaller than other brands.

#19 ·
I know the weight is good as I didn't notice a big difference when handling it and an arai, but i know it's a tad heavier if for no other reason then the fact that it has to have a battery pack and little led's. I will say i'm amazed at how they integrated it. Will get pics up tomorrow. I truly didn't expect the helmets to be this good, but i'm still curious if anyone has any long term reviews of them.

#26 · (Edited)
I got to see these for the first time at the International Motorcycle Show in Ft Worth this weekend. They look real nice. Seem as light as any other helmet. They had two negatives for me though:

1) They have a weird "electronic" smell to them. Hopefully this would go away with time.

2) There's no slot (like Shoei) for glasses. It was funny, the lady said "just don't wear your glasses when you ride", I told her, that helmet would get road tested real quick if I drove blind.

They have very nice graphics and the design is sharp. If it had not been for the two things above, I would've bought the Stealth model.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.