Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Chasing peformance without spending a fortuning on my new beast had me looking for a better way to ditch the cat converters without having to chop up my new bike. On my 05 R1 I fitted the Akropovic Y-pipe (cat eliminator) and used the standard cans to keep the noise/cost down. This made a great diffence to power and sound so I figured I'd do it on my 07 aswell. The plus is no need for a power commander as I'm running the stock mufflers. The Y-pipe makes the bike run heaps cooler so it doesnt bake your butt. I got mine cermaic coated in black to reduce the heat even more and keep it looking factory. This has to be the best performance gain I've ever done for the least cash spent (short of gutting the stock pipe which is free but ugly.). Plus the Akro pipe looks and stays cool enough to leave the heat shields off all together...:lol:lol:lol

View attachment 239

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
waiting for yours to come in? we have them ready to go bro...they have been out for a while now...not sure what you're waiting on but no backorders that i'm aware of. We have had them in stock for a long ass time now and selling them like hotcakes...

labratt you didn't think you needed to get a pc3 on it? When you remove that big of a restriction it might still be a good idea to get a dyno tune and make sure it's safe...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I dynoed an Akra Y Pipe on an 2004 R1 with Sato slip-ons, it saved 1.5 lbs, but made NO difference in HP.
That's shocking to hear..... I think the biggest reason for replacing these is loosing the Cat's to drop the heat a little on the legs though. :)

Good to have you here Dan! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
it might not make any more ponies but when i did mine it sure gets to the limit ALOT faster. feels like no restriction on the exit side. bike screams. i dont have the akra but the termi end cans with the termi y pipe...doubt theres a huge difference between them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the same mod on my 05 and never fitted a power comander. Everything you read about the cats say they arent a restriction but we know thats crap. I'm sure it would need a power commander with free flowing mufflers but with the stock cans there's still quiet a bit of restriction. The stock ECU appeared to compensate the 05 so I'm hoping the 07 will be the same. They run rich stock so we'll see what the ECU does. :yes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts