Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1986 Yamaha Fazer, and it desperately needed a tune up. I have cleaned the carbs (among many other things) and reseated them in the boots. They are definitely seated properly in the boots, but when I put the air cleaner box back on (new K&N filter), the joints don't quite fit over the air intakes on the carbs. They actually JUST BARELY fit over, but not enough to actually seal properly. It seems like the joints must have been slightly stretched before, and shrunk while they were off the bike. The air cleaner box has been off of the bike for about 2 weeks now as I don't have much time per day to dedicate to the project.

I am 100% certain that the carbs are seated correctly in the boots. I have even tried pulling the carbs out slightly to close the gap at the top, but that doesn't seem to be working, and I'm pretty sure it is not the best idea in the first place.

HOW DO I GET THESE JOINTS TO FIT!?? Heat them up and stretch them out? Pull the carbs up a bit? Any advice would be awesome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
same same

I have the same issue with mine. Tire levers, screwdrivers, all kinds of tricks trying to stretch those hard to reach inside air boots/joints. Did you ever figure this one out?

I'm frustrated with it too! RT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Suggestions to problem

From the fazer Yahoo group:
- Hot water
- Replace.

Will try hot water tonight, may use a grinding tool to waste the airbox underneath to gain a little more length and then revert to replacement if none of these two options work. Glad I'm not the only one having this problem! Out. RT

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently having the same problem right now. I had taken my airbox off to put in a k&n a few months ago, and got frustrated while trying to make the tubes fit back onto the carbs. So i just put it on as best i could. That was a bad decision because I have to park my bike outside now, and it recently rained very hard. My bike wont start :(

also, this is my first posting, so I am not sure if I am breaking some sort of etiquette by posting on an old thread

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought new intake boots and they were no longer :( and not much more stretchy.

I also ended up doing the best I could. Ground a little from the airbox but this made f-all difference.

After 5,000 miles of not touching the boots, I think the slight movement of the airbox and vibration has made some of the boots slide back off the carbs. I think I need to get back in there again and try and stretch them. This design, along with the gas cap is lame/bang-head.

My bike's not running as smooth at it should at cruising speed (6k rpm) and I think it has a lot to do with this problem. If I run it at 6.5k or 5,5k rpm it seems happier/smoother. This is despite new plugs, balanced carbs, fresh gas, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have seen the boots replaced with 4 lengths of silicone hose before but I boiled a kettle, poured the water in a shallow baking tray & stood the air box & rubbers in the water for a few minutes before quickly forcing them over the carbs & tightening the screws. FZ750 but guessing same set up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts