Yamaha Powersport Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend ask me to look at his tmax 500. It's a 2009 with only 281 miles on it. The last registration expired in 2015 so I'm guessing thats the last time it ran. When he dropped it off he said it wouldn't start and thats about all the info I got. I quickly diagnosed a bad fuel pump and fixed that. It then started immediatly and idled fine. When giving it gas, it would not move although the rpm would rise to about 4500. I replaced the belt after seeing it wasn't working properly. It now moves slightly but it was obvious the clutch was slipping. I replaced the clutch and the oil since the oil was 21 years old. The drivetrain no longer slips. It started moving on flat ground now but when you get to the slightest hill it doesn't have enough power to move forward. If going up a bigger hill it will actually lose momentum and start rolling backwards. I've cleaned the fuel injectors, drained all the fuel and put fresh fuel in and replaced the water/coolant since it was brown. What am I missing that would cause this bike to lose power? I actually lifted the back wheel off the ground and the throttle works fine when it isn't under pressure. RPM's will shoot up to 4500 quickly then gradually go to 6000. I'm thinking its got to be something about it sitting for so many years but i dont know. Any suggestions? I'm out of ideas

1 - 1 of 1 Posts