Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 1981 yz80 about 2 years ago and i dont work on bikes so the entire time ive owned it everytime i start it it runs good for about 15 minutes and after it warms up it sputters and dies and i cant get it to start again. if i let it cool off it starts perfectly fine if some one here could help me it would be greatly appriciated this is my first bike and i just want to ride it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check the airfilter, if its very dirty, it might get to much gas when its warm, to clean it, just put it in a bowl of gas, and squish it a bit, until all the dirt has left the filter, then reoil it with airfilter oil.

also make sure the choke is off when you ride, on some models its easy to take the choke out, and check if its moving freely.

it could also be the spark plug, so if the above mentioned don't work, try to replace it.

·
time in a bottle
1,349 Posts
ignition coils some times fail slowly and buckle intermittently under load - heat is sometimes a factor. any electrical component should be tested and ruled out (cdi magneto assembly including charge coils )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i was told it might be the cdi box and i found one on ebay for $35 bucks and i already have some one to work on it for me but hes now sure what the problem is with the bike

·
time in a bottle
1,349 Posts
now or not ?

I think ignition coils can be load tested but no test for the cdi IIRC.
good luck . let us know what you find

·
Registered
8 Posts
there is some devices that can test CDI box, and also some for the ignition coil, sadly most workshops don't have them, they are pretty expensive.

I'll bet if you contact your local school for mechanics (preferable MC mechanics) they might have a tester, and will test it for you, would be great training for the students also. :)

·
7c Forever
3,285 Posts
some aspects of a CDI can be tested with a standard multimeter, IF the service manual gives you the specs, which they generally don't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bought a new cdi for it then i gunked up the carb never got it clean so i bought a new carb and that lil basterd runs awesome. took it out ridin after i got the carb on forgot to check the choke nut and it fell out... and my muffaler fell off lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts