FZ700 rebuild - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
FZ's, FZR's, & YZF 750 FZ-600, FZ-700, FZ-750, & YZF-750

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Post FZ700 rebuild

I picked up a 1987 FZ700 under the impression from the seller that it was an FZR750, after doing a title search, I found I had one of the tariff beating FZ700.

The bike had been pulled apart about 2 years prior to me getting it, because the owner was planning to powder coat the engine and frame.

I brought the bike over with only the engine and tires attached to the frame, and all the other parts (minus blinkers and front wheel fender and many bolts) were in the back of a minivan. After many hours of searching, I found a pdf in German of the service manual, and an FZ400 service manual in English. I was able to look at the german one for the pictures but read the english one, so there was lots of flipping back and forth.

Once I had gotten all the information together, I began the assembly...with major help from my motorcycle enthusiast friend. We started by making sure the engine was not seized. For this we put the rear sprocket on and managed to turn the engine over while it was in gear. It even sounded like it had good compression. After confirming that it was not frozen, I cleaned the carbs nicely, and it took some time to get those on.

....got to go, more to follow!

Last edited by Pyro109; 04-29-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Hit the wrong number. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

The chain had some surface rust and was soaked in old oil to penetrate and loosen it up nicely.

Tips for installing the carbs are as follow, have all the lower rubber connectors on the engine, then tighten those down leaving the upper clamps plenty loose. If they are old and REALLY a tight fit, what we did is lightly heat them up, and then the carbs went in with much less difficulty.

Then the exhaust system was installed along with the rear brackets.

The starter, generator, battery box, coolant reservoir and fuel pump were also installed after the exhaust.

The ignition coils were installed after much hesitation about which cords went to which plugs. Then the rear fenders, wiring harness, headlight bracket, gauge cluster, headlight and radiator were installed.

The wiring harness was another lengthy operation due to some very corroded connections and lots of redoing of plugs.(still working on some of the connections)

After the wires were all together, it was discovered that the starter solenoid was missing as well After looking online, I figured it would be worth the effort to look at my spare pocketbike...low and behold the starter solenoid was the exact same one as I was seeing on ebay as original for the 87 FZ700! Some monkeying around and I managed to get it ready for install.

Connected it to my friends spare/old battery and when I turned the key, the fuel pump turned on, so I unplugged it because I just wanted to see if it would turn over so no tank was connected yet. but nothing seemed to happen when I hit the start button.

Consulting my friend, he suggested testing the voltage drops and resistance of the wires. So I did that and found the button was corroded a bit. Also that there was no power when the switch was pressed, but it clicked when depressed...Complete facepalm moment!!! I looked at the started solenoid and realized that I had switched the main positive and negative wires. After switching the wires and cleaning the button, I found that it turned over beautifully and had lots of compression!

This all occurred over the course of 4 weeks and non rainy weather(which there was a lot this year).

More to follow.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

After it turned over, that gave me a big push to get it finished!

The radiator was pretty easy to install and completely connect, only worry was if it would leak.

The gauge cluster was pretty easy to install, very self explanatory...except for the connectors that were VERY corroded.

I then connected the tank and added a little gas to it to see if it would fire over. The choke cable is kind of a joke in that I have to pull it manually because it is frayed horribly and there is no knob either. So I pulled the choke, pressed the button and...it popped a couple of times then started right up!!! I watched as mouse nesting material shot out of the exhaust for the few seconds that I had it running.

After getting it started I realized I REALLY need to get some oil and a battery for it. I got the appropriate battery from Farm and Fleet for pretty cheap and the oil from a new motorcycle store in town that has been SUPER helpful with my purchases. Getting the new battery charged and installed and adding the oil was the next milestone.

Connecting the headlight was not too bad, did require some finagling because one of the studs from the front faring was broken from being dumped at some point. I also found that due to the corrosion, they were not lighting up and one of the wires was severed. Bypassing the large 9 wire plug fixed that issue pretty easily.

After everything was connected and fluids were filled, I started it up! and took it around the block!!!!

It felt great to ride it for those few minutes, but as I pulled into the driveway it died...another wire pulled out of one of the 9 wire plugs. I had to push it the 200 yards back to the shed where the wire tools had been all been taken. :/

I ended up cutting one of the large 9 wire plugs and connecting them individually. much easier to work with now, maybe eventually I will get the "proper" plug again, but for now this method will work.

I got my temps and made myself a license plate bracket.

I took it for a 15 mile ride having my friend and his Hyabusa act as a pacer and guide because I still had not replaced the speedometer cable and had no blinkers. It was fantastic!!! Exhilarating even!

I did find that the power band around 6500 rpm slipped a little at times. more work to be done at another time.

I then completed my basic look by installing the front faring and rear sides. Since the bike had been dumped and the side farings were in pretty rough shape, I am opting for the semi naked look and trimmed the broken bottoms off of the front faring.

I ordered my speedometer cable and blinkers and when they arrived, I installed them and went for my first solo ride. According to my tripmeter it was 31.4 miles. A very fun time was had by this guy!!!

After that, I tried to see if the clutch plates were burned out. I took them all out one at a time and carefully used steel wool on the metal plates to clean them up and hopefully alleviate the slipping that was happening. Reassembled that and found it still slipped when I was on my first cruise of 75 miles. I checked to see if it was a bubble in the clutch line but no such luck, so I am probably going to be replacing the clutch plates this fall. I can survive with the slipping for now.

I will be out riding, so message me if you have any questions or comments.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 07:37 PM

Nice write up!!!! Would like to see pics of your work
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 PM

Very nice write-up! I've got to finish revivifying my FZ700. I got mine a year ago in slightly more complete condition, but with lots of neglect to be repaired. I haven't gotten my bike started yet. My first attempt wasn't as lucky as yours, but then as the old quote goes, "Luck favors the prepared," and you prepared very well. I've got to do the same. With more preparation, maybe I'll have better luck than last time.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Scott
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the kind comments. I am trying to keep this somewhat current/up to date.

The gasket did not arrive till middle of winter so the clutch replacement was held off till warmer weather which was much later.

Upon storing it for the winter in my parents shed, I did not realize how it had been mistreated until later.

My father had been leaning on it to reach over it and in the process had bent the rear blinkers pretty bad. I managed to get them back in place but as it goes, that is weakening their bracket. Another thing I did not know had happened is that the clutch handle had been pressing against a barrel so it had suffered some damage that I did not know till I was riding.

This spring I ended up moving so that also has put a damper on things, but nonetheless I am happy to say that I have replaced the clutch plates. Upon taking it for its first spin, something still seemed off...it was still slipping and then getting almost no power to the wheel at all. I could not make it up a small hill before getting home, so I had my friend tailing me because the plates were a week into may(expired). I tried bleeding the clutch, got some big air bubbles out, but still slipped alot. Then inspected the handle that was clicking since I pulled it out of the shed. I thought it was just a clicking of stuck metal, but that was not the case. On the handle there is a collar of the handle around a brass(?)cylinder which is connected to the main plunger for the hydraulic clutch. The metal collar had cracked and allowed the cylinder to come off of the plunger/piston for the fluid. I managed to get the cylinder out, and by luck the collar was making contact with the piston/plunger. Testing it out quick, I found that it was in fact enough to make it work. Occasionally, I had to pump the handle a couple of times to shift but it was working enough to do the job.

Before the new clutch plates, when doing 45mph and revving fast, it would just slip and rev quickly, but now the bike responded and not how I was expecting...it launched forward! And to 65mph! Nothing like before. I know that is not safe, or legal on the road I was on, but I did not know until I looked down and saw that, I was truly surprised and now know to keep an eye on the speedometer.

Now I just ordered the new handle, and am waiting for delivery and then I will get it re-registered.

However, since I am in an apartment, I have to store it outside. For the first few weeks I had it here, I did not have it covered and it had been the victim of some SEVERE thunderstorms with HEAVY HEAVY rain. Now it does not want to start. I am a little unhappy about that, but I do at least have a tarp over it until I get it sorted out.

Once I get it up and running, I will also be installing an LED toggle switch for the fan on the radiator because the temperature red-lines and the fan does nothing, I bypassed the switch on the radiator and found the fan does work, so this is a much easier fix and will allow me to manually run the fan when needed.

Other things I still need to do and will try to complete before the end of summer is getting proper front indicators, 3 wire so that they are "legal", a second rear-view mirror, and sand/paint it to a nice matte black. The chain has surface rust so in time I may go with a new colored chain that will prevent rusting.

Again, I will post more as it happens, like what the issue is that is keeping it from starting right now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:49 AM

fz700 manuals

i have a manual in english for the 1987 fz700 20 bucks and its all you....i own a 85fj1100, an 88fz600 and an 89 fzr1000 in addition to the 87 fz700, i can also send you an english pdf for free if that helps.....