After it turned over, that gave me a big push to get it finished!
The radiator was pretty easy to install and completely connect, only worry was if it would leak.
The gauge cluster was pretty easy to install, very self explanatory...except for the connectors that were VERY corroded.
I then connected the tank and added a little gas to it to see if it would fire over. The choke cable is kind of a joke in that I have to pull it manually because it is frayed horribly and there is no knob either. So I pulled the choke, pressed the button and...it popped a couple of times then started right up!!! I watched as mouse nesting material shot out of the exhaust for the few seconds that I had it running.
After getting it started I realized I REALLY need to get some oil and a battery for it. I got the appropriate battery from Farm and Fleet for pretty cheap and the oil from a new motorcycle store in town that has been SUPER helpful with my purchases. Getting the new battery charged and installed and adding the oil was the next milestone.
Connecting the headlight was not too bad, did require some finagling because one of the studs from the front faring was broken from being dumped at some point. I also found that due to the corrosion, they were not lighting up and one of the wires was severed. Bypassing the large 9 wire plug fixed that issue pretty easily.
After everything was connected and fluids were filled, I started it up! and took it around the block!!!!
It felt great to ride it for those few minutes, but as I pulled into the driveway it died...another wire pulled out of one of the 9 wire plugs. I had to push it the 200 yards back to the shed where the wire tools had been all been taken. :/
I ended up cutting one of the large 9 wire plugs and connecting them individually. much easier to work with now, maybe eventually I will get the "proper" plug again, but for now this method will work.
I got my temps and made myself a license plate bracket.
I took it for a 15 mile ride having my friend and his Hyabusa act as a pacer and guide because I still had not replaced the speedometer cable and had no blinkers. It was fantastic!!! Exhilarating even!
I did find that the power band around 6500 rpm slipped a little at times. more work to be done at another time.
I then completed my basic look by installing the front faring and rear sides. Since the bike had been dumped and the side farings were in pretty rough shape, I am opting for the semi naked look and trimmed the broken bottoms off of the front faring.
I ordered my speedometer cable and blinkers and when they arrived, I installed them and went for my first solo ride. According to my tripmeter it was 31.4 miles. A very fun time was had by this guy!!!
After that, I tried to see if the clutch plates were burned out. I took them all out one at a time and carefully used steel wool on the metal plates to clean them up and hopefully alleviate the slipping that was happening. Reassembled that and found it still slipped when I was on my first cruise of 75 miles. I checked to see if it was a bubble in the clutch line but no such luck, so I am probably going to be replacing the clutch plates this fall. I can survive with the slipping for now.
I will be out riding, so message me if you have any questions or comments.