how do i tell if its repairable? yzf 750 genesis - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
FZ's, FZR's, & YZF 750 FZ-600, FZ-700, FZ-750, & YZF-750

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

how do i tell if its repairable? yzf 750 genesis

Hey guys, new to the forum, just bought a 1995 yzf750 with 19000 km, was wrecked.

windscreen cracked badly and nose fairing cracked around headlight, right side fairing damaged as well. bike was declared a writeoff but repairable.

what are some good indicators, short of a frame jig, that would tell me if the frame/triple tree is straight?
i rode it, runs well, shifts well, and when im driving straight the handle bars are straight.
but i have no idea how to tell if the frame is compromised. any suggestions?

and if i sound like im on crack or on the right track that would be helpful too. did i bite off more then i can chew?

any advice is appreciated.

cheers from Langley BC

henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Major Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959avro View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum, just bought a 1995 yzf750 with 19000 km, was wrecked.

windscreen cracked badly and nose fairing cracked around headlight, right side fairing damaged as well. bike was declared a writeoff but repairable.

what are some good indicators, short of a frame jig, that would tell me if the frame/triple tree is straight?
i rode it, runs well, shifts well, and when im driving straight the handle bars are straight.
but i have no idea how to tell if the frame is compromised. any suggestions?

and if i sound like im on crack or on the right track that would be helpful too. did i bite off more then i can chew?

any advice is appreciated.

cheers from Langley BC

henry
I would say you did. When the frame is just slightly bent, there's no real way to tell for sure. Best to take to a shop who can place the chassis in a laser jig, and measure it. You'll need to strip the bike down a certain way before they can do it.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:18 AM

pull off the plastics and look for reference points side to side and cross measure very carefully, if those measurements end up equal your frame is gonna be ok (theoretically) this is backed up by your ride evaluation...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Minstar

Measurements

To be truly sure I would take the bike apart and isolate the frame to rolling chassis status. Then if you have a racing stand lift it up on the rear or find someway to stand it up dead vertical. Then start measuring from the headstock (or bolt) back to points on the frame). Also the use of plumbobs at certain points to see if the there is twisting also helps. Also if you have a decent eye you can often gauge if things are out of true when everything is off the frame.