98 Timberwolf runs but wont move...... - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

98 Timberwolf runs but wont move......

just bought a 98 timberwold 250 for a couple hundred bucks as a project to try learn how to work on it. when i got it, it was running really lean and would cut out when i hit the gas. i cleaned the carb and it started running better i rode it for about 15 mins when all the sudden no noises or anything is just wont move it clicks into first like normal but just revs like in neutral and also rolls like its in neutral. after looking at it i found out the oil was filled with gas almost completely gas consistency. any ideas?
any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 AM
time in a bottle

sometimes while sitting the fuel from the fuel tank ends up in the cylinder . leaks down past the rings into the crankcase.
how it gets to the cylinder through the carb I don't know dirty carb or from cranking I guess.

the thinned out oil or the gasoline acting like a solvent could have smoked your clutch . I would change the oil once and see if there is any hope for the clutch . then after that I'd probably tear it down. I'm hoping you'll find some burnt clutch fibers . if it is not the clutch it may be expensive to fix . clutches are relatively cheap.

David
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks, i really appreciate it i ordered the clutch kit and im really hoping thats all it is.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Sand Expert

After your clutch job change the oil like 5 hrs after to make sure you get all that material out of the system. make sure you get in the habit of turning off the fuel cock too.