97 yz 125 clutch problem - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

97 yz 125 clutch problem

This is probably getting a little repetitive but my bike was not in the best condition when I bought it so I was asking for a project. Right before I replaced the top end I realized that when I pulled in my clutch in and gave it gas the bike wanted to move forward. We just put a new clutch cable in and and as soon as we got it running it did the same exact thing. My dad and I think we might need a new clutch as it is a 12 year old bike and hasnt been replaced. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 05:53 AM
time in a bottle

this is a somewhat normal situation for a used two stroke.
it get's worse as the bike gets more time on it.

it is caused by two things
clutch plates sticking

clutch basket has grooves or chatter marks worn on it. causing a bit of a initial bite .

All of my dirt bikes have done this at some point and to some degree .

David
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Is this a somewhat easy fix or would we be better off bringing it to a shop since me or my dad dont really know about clutches?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:27 PM
time in a bottle

I should have said it is usually caused by one of two things , it could be something something broken internal
but like I said it is probably groves worn on the clutch basket or clutch plates sticking .

replacing the clutch is a normal part of owning a dirtbike, but not knowing what the problem is and your having limited experience with mx bikes I would highly recommend taking it to a dealership to diagnose and probably fix it.
especially because there is no way to tell if it is a major problem or a normal behavior .

If they end up needing to replace the basket you can have them use a aftermarket one that should be stronger.

David
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help my dad and I just brought my bike in today he said it should be a quick fix.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Hey guys, having pretty much the same problem on my 94 YZ 125. I bought the bike used and ended up doing a total bottom end and top end rebuild before I ever got a chance to fire it up. About the only thing that I didn't replace is the clutch setup. I used a set of digital calipers to make sure that the clutch springs, steel plates, and friction plates were all within spec, as they were. I installed a new Motion Pro clutch cable and MSR clutch lever, and tightened the cable adjustment up before starting the bike for the first time.

Once I got the bike running I noticed that the clutch wasn't operating. I have torn cutch-side of the motor down several times and can't quite figure out the problem. There's no shoulder on the inner clutch hub to show any signs of wear there. The bike already had a Hinson "Billet Proof" clutch basket, whch looks to be in good condition. It's still using the stock inner hub and pressure plate, but everything looks to be good on those.

After tearing the clutch down and putting it back together several times now I still get the same problem. I haven't even tried starting the bike since the first time I experienced the problems, but with the engine off, transmission in gear, and clutch level pulled in the bike still will not freely roll back and forth.

This is my first time dealing with a dirtbike motor (have tons of automobile engine experience), and I just can't figure this out. I've tried manually rotating the clutch lever (the one attached to the engine side cover) and it will go a tad further than the clutch lever will pull it, but even with that lower lever bottoms out at his furthest position the bike still doesn't want to roll freely. I'm scared to start the thing up, put it in gear, and dropped the bike and get hurt lol.

The one thing I've noticed is that when bolting the pressure plate up it doesn't get any tighter against the clutch/friction plates than when it's just gently resting against the plates, unbolted. Is the pressure plate supposed to sinch down on the plates a little more when you bolt it down? Or is it normal?

Any ideas/help here would be very greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Andrew
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 04:35 PM
time in a bottle

I'm on my way out of town and sending this from my phone , so no diagrams LOL

Look up yamahas website and check the parts catalog . In the clutch there is a rod that is accuated by the lever on the side of engine case.
That rod on some years had a ball bearing and on other years it didn't .
If that rod gets messed up or the bearing or end is broken it can cause problems

David

Last edited by macattack; 03-08-2009 at 04:39 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Hey thanks for the reply David. But yeah, I'm an idiot. I guess the clutch WAS working all this time I just never put the rear tire down on the ground with the clutch lever pulled in. I had the back sitting on a 5-gallon bucket, jacked up high enough for the rear tire to not touch the ground. Well, needless to say, while testing to see what would happen if I applied the rear brake while pulling on the clutch lever the bike and myself managed to fall off the bucket. Haha!

I then learned that the clutch DOES work. I let the bike warm up and took it for a drive. After it ran for a few minutes I took the choke off and started driving it. It road fine for the first few seconds then started to sputter as it warmed up some. It back-fired and sputtered a little further down the street and start losing power then died. Doesn't want to start back up now, so I have a new problem. Lol I guess it's time to learn how to try to adjust this carburetor!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:00 PM

can u grind off the grooves on the basket for a quick fix?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Clutchit mx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrayson84 View Post
Hey thanks for the reply David. But yeah, I'm an idiot. I guess the clutch WAS working all this time I just never put the rear tire down on the ground with the clutch lever pulled in. I had the back sitting on a 5-gallon bucket, jacked up high enough for the rear tire to not touch the ground. Well, needless to say, while testing to see what would happen if I applied the rear brake while pulling on the clutch lever the bike and myself managed to fall off the bucket. Haha!

I then learned that the clutch DOES work. I let the bike warm up and took it for a drive. After it ran for a few minutes I took the choke off and started driving it. It road fine for the first few seconds then started to sputter as it warmed up some. It back-fired and sputtered a little further down the street and start losing power then died. Doesn't want to start back up now, so I have a new problem. Lol I guess it's time to learn how to try to adjust this carburetor!

May need a new spark plug if wont start and bogged out on you