Speedometer and Fuel Gauge woes - Erratic reading - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Speedometer and Fuel Gauge woes - Erratic reading

Hello all,

Need help. I have a 2003 Yamaha Silverado Special Edition 1600 cc but its basically similar to Roadstar.

Symptoms:

1. When the engine is turned on, none of the needles ( Speed or fuel on the Instrument cluster) go through the checks.
2. Speedometer is erratic and jumps all over the place from 0-120 mph.
3. Fuel gauge sometimes work and sometimes it doesnt. After a lot of driving, its more likely that it starts working but its not the float in the tank.

Problem:

1. The dealership couldnt find the problem but I am thinking that they are not looking for the root cause failure. Instead they asked me to change the part for $1000.

Solution:
1. I am far from an expert but could it be a cable or electronics?
2. Any other ideas you may have..

Thanks a lot in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 03:23 AM

Electrical problems are just so much fun. Having said that, start at the battery and work your way out. Check all your molex connectors for corrosion > pull them apart and plug them back together a few times to clean the contacts then put some dielectric grease in them to stop further corrosion. Check all your ground wires to the frame. Also check all your wires for chaffing. I believe there's a magnetic pickup for speed sensing which should have an air gap spec. It's a tedious job but in most cases will fix an electrical problem.

Have Fun