2009 XT 250 --- overly HIGH idle once hot - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Question 2009 XT 250 --- overly HIGH idle once hot

Had the XT250 for 3 days - put 40 miles on just testing it out. It runs mint - EXCEPT...

Once it's fully warmed up, the idle will wind up -- while stopped at a light or in lower gears as well (no throttle).

For example - if I go into 2nd/3rd or higher - then stop - the idle will reduce properly - then begin to climb until it's winding the pi$$ out of it. I need to brake/engage the clutch to bring it back down. Eventually, the rev-ing carries into the lower gears -- it'll over run the gears w/o my manipulating the throttle (does no good to push it off -- it's completely off when this is happening). Makes things "interesting" at intersections...

It's obviously still under warranty - but from "back in the day" I played with car carburetors -- there were some simple adjustments for this -- thought a soenoid was involved as well -- but not finding anything in blogs/forums for this happening to new bikes (most problems for this were older models).

The linkage is clear/nothing sticking, no leaks -- I think it's just set wrong -- but... before touching anything -- or going anywhere near a dealer yet -- figured I'd solicit some opinions.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Lesson(s) Learned:
1) Never over-estimate your dealer's competency.
2) Never underestimate the reciprocal of #1.

Post mortem:
Start with simplest possibility for the source of a problem - no matter how simple -THEN - to into the more advanced...

Apparently, my dealer never set the idling speed -- at all... (over a full turn out of whack). That explained why my bike didn't seem to have the warming up delays I've been reading about with these bikes...

I was checking everything else and figure - what the heck I'll turn it down a smidgin (didn't want to mess up starting) -- and "voila"! I now have the bike I had hoped for!

Problem solved.