HOW TO: Install a GPR Steering Damper ('06/07 R6) - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

HOW TO: Install a GPR Steering Damper ('06/07 R6)

An easily fitted and on the fly adjustable steering damper. Well known, rugged, and installation requires no modification to the bike.

Firstly remove the small dust caps that can be seen on the top triple clamp on the bike.

Next remove the bolts that were underneath the dust covers, which are also used to locate the position of the clip-ons.

Once these are removed, place the main Damper mount over the Steering column nut, and use the two Bolts supplied within the damper kit to position the main clamp. Once it is positioned, remove each bolt individually, apply medium strength thread-locker, and re-install till they are tight.

Once the bolts are re-installed, take the dust covers originally removed from the triple clamp, and re-install back onto the main damper clamp.

The Second clamp mounts where the bolt holding down the tank and tank cover is. Remove the existing bolt,install the clamp over the top of this, and then position using the supplied bolt. Don't use thread-locker on this bolt yet.

Once the two clamps are installed, place the GPR Damper on top of the main mount, and ensure its placement by installing the two bolts by hand, and lightly tightening. Ensure that the post on the damper runs into the secondary clamp installed at the tank bolt.

Move the bars from side to side, ensuring that there is no binding, hard sport etc. if necessary, loosen the bolts holding down the Damper, and the secondary clamp and re-position, until bar movement is completely smooth.

Once you are happy with the movement of the bars, individually remove the bolts, apply thread-locker, and re-install until they feel tight.

Finally, apply thread-locker to the bolt tightening the secondary clamp around the damper post, and tighten.

That is it, you have successfully installed a GPR Steering Damper on your bike.

2007 R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 AM
full throttle then turn

nice writeup, this was done before the other writeup.... why wasn't this one stickied?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 AM
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur1 View Post
nice writeup, this was done before the other writeup.... why wasn't this one stickied?
My bad, didnt see this one when I went in there and stickied them all (probably because it was added first so I didnt see it). I believe we are going to be adding a how to section here soon so they will all get moved to there when we do.

There are so many How To's now (thank you !Ron and Black FZR) that they damn near take up the whole first page, so I am not going to sticky anymore till we get the new section up.

Thanks agian guys!! Great write ups.

Last edited by KWComp; 10-31-2007 at 04:56 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:03 PM
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK

Nice How To. Well done.

Ride safe.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 06:44 PM

just want to say thanks for the step by step i bought my damper on line and it didin't come with any hardware anybody have any idea what size the hardware should be diameter ans length thanks ravenryder
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

what do you mean by hardware? the bolts?

2007 R6
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM

yes the two bolts that go in the triple tree and the single one that goes on the tank side it lookes like a 6mm but iam not sure how much longer they are over factory... ive been trying to get ahold of GPR but no luck yet
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I <3 Orange Chicken

i'm thinking about getting this in a group buy.

thanks for the nice write-up and pix!

2010 Yamaha YZF-R6 - Blue
2009 Yamaha FZ-6R - Blue

Last edited by Detrich; 10-13-2011 at 12:32 PM.