Just picked up an 03 R1 that turns funny! - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Just picked up an 03 R1 that turns funny!

It feels like as you turn the bars to the left, it feels like it drops down and wants to pull out of your hand. When you turn back it's hard to turn and feels like the front end is being lifted by the turning and once you hit center, it's at it's highest peek and as you go farther to the right as you pass center it feels like it's starting to drop back down and wants to go fast, easy and pull the bars out of your hands until of course it gets to the stop.

I don't know any other way to explain it, I'm thinking the bearings for the triple tree are either loose, busted, gone? A visual and everything looks okay, tire may be a little low but I doubt that's it.

Any suggestions where to start would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
7c Forever

can you hear a click when you transition left to right or throttle to brake? usually if the triple bearing is loose you'll get an audible click. Just be carefull that you're hearing the stem click and not the brake pads.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

No, I don't hear anything it's just hard to turn at first but as soon as you get a few degrees past zero or straight ahead, it wants to pull out of your hands, not real hard but if your not ready, it would probably put you down. It seems to do it when turning in either direction.

I've had a chance to check it out just a little and it looks like the forks seals may be bad and one or both of the forks are low or out of fork oil. That's probably the problem although I'm not going to rule out anything just yet. There seems to be no play in the front axle or in the triple tree and under bracket. Yamha calls the triple tree a handle crown and you have the stem which comes up from underneath, of course there are bearings on either end and that is where you find a lot of front end problems which is what you indicated, that seems tight like it should be.

It's not good whatever it is so its houldn't be hard to find. Once I get the front end up off the ground, I'll be able to tell a lot more.

Appreciate the repsonse Junior, not a lot of traffic here.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 02:12 AM

Had an 03 R1, the torques bike ever, Black one with flames.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Life: Tragedy or Comedy

Bike's seven years old. It's worth the $100 or so in bearings and races. Easy to replace.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:59 PM
7c Forever

could be a tweaked frame too actually.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

I considered a tweaked frame myself although I looked it over really good prior to the purchase. It looks staright as can be, I looked over all the visible welds by the neck for cracks and or cracks in the paint. I could find nothing to indicate a frame being bent. I'm pretty sure the problem is in the forks. I remember a similar feel many years ago but can't remember exactly what the problem was, I sort of remember the triple tree being put on upside down or something like that.

When I have time, I'm going to take the front end apart, spin the front wheel prior to taking it apart just to listen and see how it spins, then I'll go form there.

Thanks for the input guys.............!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Sand Expert

The oil in the forks give you the cush in your ride. The springs hold it up for normal riding to keep from sagging. That would be a wierd feeling to have going down the road.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM

Even if the neck bearings are tight,they can be too tight. And there is a correct way to torque them. It should be done anytime you take the top clamp off. If its not right it will cause the steering to feel a lot different (usually tighter and harder). As far as the forks go. It is ten years old and don't rule out the fact that those forks have never been apart. It does happen. One last thing that sounds so stupid would be to check the rear axle alignment. Just a thought. Good luck with your issue man.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Shogun_35, I'm gettiong ready to work on the 03 that I picked up, can I work on the forks without removing them from the bike/frame. I'm starting to think that I can rebuild the forks without removing them. The more I look at this bike, I'm curious how you jack it up to get the wheels off the ground. Many years ago I worked at a bike shop and we simply centered the bike over a small hydraulic lift and raised the bike with the lift plate up against the frame.

On these particular bikes, looking underneath, it appears that the header/pipes are in the way and even if they weren't, there is no frame. I guess the motor is part of the frame on these bike so do you lift the bike from the bottom of the motor?

I'm thinking you have to remove the lower fairing and place a block underneath the motor, does that sound correct or will I break something?

I'm fairly certain the problem with the steering is the forks. I see oil on the floor underneath the left side fork tube. New seals and bearings should make the bike steer properly once again.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks........
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:08 AM
Site Supporter

For $40-$100+ you can get a front lift with the tripple tree attachment to easily and safely lift the front of the bike..

ATGATT
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

syncitizen, thanks for the info, certainly the way to work on the front end of a bike. It may seem like I'm going at this quite slow by just by looking at the time betwen posts. I am going at it quite slow, reason being I have a 2002 R1 that is tip top, a real piece of work, one bad baby that is almost scary fast. I bought the 03 because I got a real good deal on it and thought I would keep it for parts for my 02. I've come to realize that my 02 will run for many more years to come and this 03 is not that far from being a good riding bike itself.

I've read a few posts in this forum where some of the fellas are asking about doing a wheelie, can't get their front wheel off the ground. I'm thinking, are they sure they own an R1!
can't get the front wheel off the ground, I laugh when I read that, I can't keep mine on the ground! I pull a power wheelie about anywhere anytime, the other day I just got up on the highway and had hit the throttle a little bit, looked down and I was going about 85 MPH so for grins, I downshifted into 3rd gear and put the hammer to it, front wheel off the ground immediately. I let off pretty much right away but still pulled about a 100ft wheelie if not longer.

For the life of me I just don't see how anyone could not get their front wheel off the ground with an R1.

Later, I"ll post what I find with the front end as I go along!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM

I know this thread is 4 months old, but it sounds to me like your forks are bent.
The way you described it sounds like they are binding up when you go to turn the bars then they break free.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Sounds like brining in irks to me as well ie bent