How To: Remove Fuel Tank/Change Air Filter (07-08) R1 - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK

Tools needed: 5mm Hex (allen), phillips screwdriver, torque wrench. (All 5mm bolts for this how to are torqued at 5 FT LBS)

Step 1: Remove Seat.

Step 2: Remove side tank covers. The covers slide to the front of the bike.

Step 3: Remove side mounting bolts.

Step 4: Remove front mounting bolt.

Step 5: Loosen rear mounting bolt. (Do not remove at this point)

Lift the front of the tank up.

Step 6: Disconnect hoses.

Step 7: Disconnect Green & White electrical plug ins.

Step 8: Lay a shop towel down to catch any fuel that will come out when removing the fuel line. Fuel will not run out of the tank, but you may get a little running out of the line, or a little bit if fuel pump pressure was recently built up.

Step 9: Remove fuel line lock. Just pull straight down on it and it will come right off.

Step 10: Disconnect fuel line. Push in on the Blue/Green button on each side and pull the line off.

Let the front of the tank back down.

Step 11: Now remove the rear mounting bolt & remove the tank.

Step 12: Remove 9 phillips head bolts around the edges of air box. Remove top of air box.

Step 13: Lift the front of the air filter up and remove. There are a couple tabs on the bottom side to make sure they are aligned properly when installing the new filter.

Install new filter, and work you way back up the list for reassembly.

Ride safe.

Last edited by R1 MASTER; 11-11-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:24 PM
R1F Outcast!!

Nice right up!! Well explained...even a mechanicaly challenged monkey like me could figure it out with those instructions!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 06:38 AM

Thanks R1 Master for taking the time to post this How-To. I was trying to psyche myself up to do the install the smog plates and was really nervous about taking off the tank. Now, I'm off to the garage to get started!

-Mechanically Challenged Monkey

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK

Guess I should have just done one for the Block Off Plates while I was at it since I have done a few of them.

If you have any questions, let us know.

Ride safe.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM

I've just been trying to get the tank of my 2k5 R1 in order to replace the thermostat. This is the first time I've tried to remove the tank on this bike.

I ran into a snag when attempting to disconnect the fuel lines, which took me to google to solve, which is how I found this write up.

I removed the locking bracket and then pushed on the side buttons while attempting to pull off the line, but it doesn't seem to want to disconnect.

To be honest, my fingertips seem to be compressing more than the buttons are.

I was also reaching the point where I felt the force I was using in pulling on the fuel line connector was reaching the breaking point of the white plastic L shaped nipple coming out of the tank.

Is there a trick to this?

(Yes I realize this is a necro, but this is the best write-up-with-pictures I've found on the net for R1 tank removal)

Last edited by allmhuran; 08-24-2012 at 09:31 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Recently my bike was damaged by someone reversing into it and knocking it over.
I just noticed today that the plastic around that front mounting bolt is cracked all around the bolt head @ step 4.
To repair or replace that front plastic section over the air filter do I need to remove the tank?
Is there a how-to somewhere that shows this procedure?

I've done step 1, 2 and removed the screws next to the side mounting bolts which hold on the side part of that plastic cover to the tank. I've also removed the front mounting bolt which is holding down the front of the cover.
However I cant seem to get the cover off without breaking it off!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Im interested in this too. I have the tank removed from the bike and i still cant get the cover off. thank you for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehmessiah75 View Post
Recently my bike was damaged by someone reversing into it and knocking it over.
I just noticed today that the plastic around that front mounting bolt is cracked all around the bolt head @ step 4.
To repair or replace that front plastic section over the air filter do I need to remove the tank?
Is there a how-to somewhere that shows this procedure?

I've done step 1, 2 and removed the screws next to the side mounting bolts which hold on the side part of that plastic cover to the tank. I've also removed the front mounting bolt which is holding down the front of the cover.
However I cant seem to get the cover off without breaking it off!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 02:44 PM

thank you so much its really helped