Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

Need to clarify an unusual fix, which may help other too

992 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  soumen.sam 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Got a used 2010 R1 at 10k km almost an year ago and from the 1st day I noticed at any gear below 3k RPM its power is very poor and engine struggle to pull. After long research I found those others faced this their one cylinder wasn’t working/firing due to bad coil mostly. So I thought mine same and tested while the engine running, sprayed water on each cylinder exhaust pipe below the radiator, 3 of them evaporate instantly but one was clearly no evaporation and found the faulty one. I was about to order the coil but before that I wanted to test externally by removing ignition coil and spark plugs to make sure which one is exactly faulty. As it is a time taking job before doing this I thought to try diagnostic mode, if any other faulty came out I could order and replace that too.

While doing diagnostic mode bike was idle for few days and it has a non OEM but branded Excide battery which was little old since I got the bike. Battery became dead few times before but I was using it by charging it once in a month and working good, no issues. Didn’t replaced the battery so far as I wanted to order all replacement oem parts together. So during the diagnostic mode run all result became fine and all working. All Ignition coil firing and sounds fine. Except for the Secondary Injectors it didn’t have any error or not working status but the manual says to check for sound as well and the result below.

DI:40: Secondary Injectors1# : No Sound
DI:41: Secondary Injectors2# : No Sound
DI:42: Secondary Injectors3# : Sound
DI:43: Secondary Injectors4# : No Sound

So after the diagnostic mode done I fired the bike and the relay started buzzing sound and gave 12 error code and no firing at all. Long story 12err code is for crankshaft positioning sensor, removed the code tried again and same buzzing, checked relay, did some research, battery tested which came out very low voltage 10.7v. Immediately get a new battery, installed and engine fired in one click. Then go for a ride all works fine just riding to get the battery more charge as the new battery was showing 12v while installing. Didn’t concentrate on others. Then from the 2nd ride I started noticing the poor power below 3k rpm was gone
, made some few more rides and checked carefully and yes the low rpm poor power is completely gone
and got a great pickup at lower rpm, that means that cylinder is now working fine
. One and only replacement was the battery then how this happened? Due to the more voltage of the new battery? After full charge of the old battery, the firing timing was same as the new battery but this issue never fixed by itself. I just curious to know how this happened?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.