R1 Oil Light Indicator - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

R1 Oil Light Indicator

Hi All,
I am new to this forum and I hope it is OK to ask a mechanical question.
I have a 1999 Yamaha R1. At consistent speeds of about 50 MPH or more, after several minutes, my oil light turns on. If I pull in the clutch and let the RPMs go down, then the light goes off after 10 or 15 seconds. If the bike is setting still and at idle, the oil light does not turn on.
I am sure that there is plenty of fresh oil in the bike and at the proper level. Has anyone had this same experience? Is this something that I should be concerned about? Does this sound like a bad sensor and is this sensor easy to replace?
I would have thought that if I actually had a low oil pressure problem that the sensor would go on at idle and possibly turn off when the engine is at higher RPMs but I am seeing the opposite.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
R1-FDEE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:09 PM
APPALACHIAN-AMERICAN

iirc the oil light is actually a level sensor and not a pressure sensor. That being the case since the light only comes on at elevated and sustained engine speeds it sounds like your level is to low, or you are having a drain back issue.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

This is very common, the issue being that the oil level indicator is very sensitive. The other issue is most people check the oil level in different manners so they all have a different result.

Warm up the bike for a couple of minutes or just after a ride, then place the bike on a level surface in the upright position (rear stand if you have one) then check the oil level. It should be at the top line indicator. Make sure the bike is level both directions as well.

Give this a try and post back up.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:50 PM
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK

Early model R1's had many problems with the oil light coming on under normal riding conditions.

Did you just recently purchase the bike or have you owned the bike for some time and it just started coming on?

Ride safe.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1 MASTER View Post
Early model R1's had many problems with the oil light coming on under normal riding conditions.

Did you just recently purchase the bike or have you owned the bike for some time and it just started coming on?

Ride safe.
I appreciate your reply,
I sort of wondered if similar year R1s had this issue. I have owned the bike for about seven years and I bought it with low miles from a friend who was the original owner.
I presently own three bikes and have owned multiple motorcycles over the past 30 years. I have always changed my own oil, so when the oil light recently came on for the first time, I was shocked and immediately pulled over and turned the engine off. I was puzzled to see that the oil level looked fine. After several minutes when I finally restarted the bike, the oil light was off. I immediately rode home and after several hours checked the oil level again and it looked fine. So I topped it off on the high side just in case.
However, I still get the same behavior. At first start and at idle, the light does not come on. But at higher RPMs, the light comes on. If I pull in the clutch and coast, the light goes off. The if I resume speed (say 75 mph) after about 5 minutes, the light comes on again until I pull in the cluch and coast some more.
Any thoughts? For early model R1s that had sensor issues, did replacing the sensor fix the issue? And are they fairly easy to change?
Thanks.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 PM
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1-FDEE View Post
I appreciate your reply,
I sort of wondered if similar year R1s had this issue. I have owned the bike for about seven years and I bought it with low miles from a friend who was the original owner.
I presently own three bikes and have owned multiple motorcycles over the past 30 years. I have always changed my own oil, so when the oil light recently came on for the first time, I was shocked and immediately pulled over and turned the engine off. I was puzzled to see that the oil level looked fine. After several minutes when I finally restarted the bike, the oil light was off. I immediately rode home and after several hours checked the oil level again and it looked fine. So I topped it off on the high side just in case.
However, I still get the same behavior. At first start and at idle, the light does not come on. But at higher RPMs, the light comes on. If I pull in the clutch and coast, the light goes off. The if I resume speed (say 75 mph) after about 5 minutes, the light comes on again until I pull in the cluch and coast some more.
Any thoughts? For early model R1s that had sensor issues, did replacing the sensor fix the issue? And are they fairly easy to change?
Thanks.
I have never replaced the Switch or the Relay. I remember when the 98 models came out that people where having a fit about the oil light coming on while riding. Even some magazines commented on the problem, but where informed by Yamaha that nothing was wrong and that the light may come on from time to time.

On my 2000 the oil light would come on from time to time while just normal riding down the road at 55-80mph. It only stayed on for short periods of time though. No more than a minute then would go back out. I know of a couple of other owners with early models that had the same problem, but they never did anything about it other than reporting it to Yamaha.

Your case seems a little different though since you have not had the problem for several years and has just recently started. If you have a service manual, you can test the Switch and the Relay. If you don't have a manual, send me a PM, and I will hook you up with one.

The procedure is on page 8-42. I would check the Oil Level Relay first since is should be easily accessible (left side under the riders seat) The Oil Level Switch is also on the left side, but I believe you will have to drop the oil pan to get to it so that would be much more involved.

Ride safe.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Add a little more oil and I'm sure you will find that this condition will resolve itself. Again as stated this is fairly common and most of us have been through it. I know you are afraid to add more oil, but that is the fix...

Good Luck.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 PM
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
Add a little more oil and I'm sure you will find that this condition will resolve itself. Again as stated this is fairly common and most of us have been through it. I know you are afraid to add more oil, but that is the fix...

Good Luck.

:imwst Or you could just add more oil.

Ride safe.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
This is very common, the issue being that the oil level indicator is very sensitive. The other issue is most people check the oil level in different manners so they all have a different result.

Warm up the bike for a couple of minutes or just after a ride, then place the bike on a level surface in the upright position (rear stand if you have one) then check the oil level. It should be at the top line indicator. Make sure the bike is level both directions as well. winter tire size dodge truck auto parts dodge truck wheels rc car kits mexico motorcycle crash late model car racing

Give this a try and post back up.

Thank you

Last edited by trev0006; 12-04-2009 at 12:05 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:59 AM

yep , all the old bikes had this issue . as most of u suggested , the easy solution is to add oil till its on the maximum mark at the glass. thats what i always did .
but , today i no longer do that . i just check the oil before going for a ride , if its between the min and the max range ,its good for me . i simply dont mind that stupid oil light anymore. only if it stays lit for long = there's a problem.
i stopped to fill the oil till the max mark because all that oil is going out of the airbox drain pipe and making a mess.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Stock Sucks

I never had a problem with oil in the air box or making a mess I just made sure mine "2000 R1" was up to the top line on the sight glass "not overfull" if it was in the middle it would occasionally flicker at high RPM's. Yamaha must have addressed this problem because I have had no such issues on my 08 with the oil filled to the center of the sight glass.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:10 PM

Quick Hi

Hi folks,
I have a mint 1998 R1 all stock, and this post describes exactly whats going on.. well not exactly, I first start the bike NO light warm it up to 58 or so start to drive pow 60~63 comes on drive for a minute out its goes! now I have not seen it come back on for the rest of the day.
Any way Like to say hi, Thanks for taking the time to post your issue. maybe I will top it up and see.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 AM

how full do you keep your oil? i always over fill mine so the site glass is covered. i dont know if this will be helpfull to you.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM

I have a 2001 yamaha r1 and the oil light will come on sometimes while im riding but it goes right out if that helps any
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Airborne!

Oil light

wow, Mine comes on under the exact same circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1-FDEE View Post
I appreciate your reply,
Thanks.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilbake View Post
wow, Mine comes on under the exact same circumstances.
Same here but if i fill mine up all the way to the second dot on the window than it wont come on but after a bit it will be back down to where it was and the oil light will start coming back on again
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Recheck the oil level
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 04:10 AM

Regards and the post has settled my mind my one has started flashing at around 50-80 mph I took clutch apart as it stuck over winter and prob oil is above half way in the view window but it appears if I fill it it stops thank you all

Cheers
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 12:18 PM

What if

What if you can't check your oil line because the previous owner never cleaned the glass. My glass is so gunked up I have no clue of where my oil level is and honestly its frustrating. I put at least 3 qts of oil in on every oil change but have no clue if that's even the right amount.