1988 Virago 1100 clutch woes - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

1988 Virago 1100 clutch woes

hi, new to the forum here. i just changed the starter on a 1988 xv1100. everything went together smoothly except for the clutch mechanism. it does not seem to go back on its own. ie. when i pull the clutch lever in it soes not go back. i have tried adjusting it by the Haynes manual specs.

what am i missing? is there something that i didnt line up when putting the alternator cover back on? any help is appreciated.

i can give more info if need be.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
rolling rototiller

really? huh, cable routed good? the balls landed in their seats on the actuator? trans oil level all good?

i just traded out my 88 xv1100, did the same thing with mine, starter swap out, but it turned out to be the starter clutch

Last edited by toddwr250r; 03-28-2011 at 04:30 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

yeah, the cable routing never changed, but the balls lining up in the actuator youre speaking of, do explain. when i had the alt. cover off, the shaft fell out that the clutch adjustment is on. i just put it back in, didnt really seam like it needed lining up. perhaps i lost a part? or didnt line up saID balls correctly.
this is actually a customer of my auto repair shop. i mess with bikes on the side. mostly my own and mostly old honda sohc cb750s. these crazy yammer hammers.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM
rolling rototiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakecb420 View Post
yeah, the cable routing never changed, but the balls lining up in the actuator youre speaking of, do explain. when i had the alt. cover off, the shaft fell out that the clutch adjustment is on. i just put it back in, didnt really seam like it needed lining up. perhaps i lost a part? or didnt line up saID balls correctly.
this is actually a customer of my auto repair shop. i mess with bikes on the side. mostly my own and mostly old honda sohc cb750s. these crazy yammer hammers.

ok, the cluch cable runs a plate with three little tear drop shaped diviots in it there are three ball bearings that go under that plate, and onto a matching plate under it, so when you pull the cable the balls force the plate under it in and release the clutch. i used an old speaker magnet to hold the balls onto the outside plate and the put it onto the inside plat and put the nut on the center shaft to hole them on. of you over tighten that nut the clutch will not reingauge, follow?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the insite, i am going to take the cover back off and see if those balls are in place. i dont seem to remember seeing them in there. this is probably going to be the problem, we'll see. good sounding trick with the magnet. i will post back when i get that cover off.

thank you very much for helping me out.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

ok, so i took the cover back off to find that the ball thinger was not there. i looked all over the floor and didnt see it. drained my oil drain pan and there it was! so i put it in its home. the new gasket i used ripped in a couple spots coming off, so i used some indian head shellack(sp?) and smeared it were i deemed necassary. put the cover back on and the clutch adjusted nicely.

However, i figued id hit the start button to see if it would work again. it did. i wasnt gonna start it and let it run but i did try to start it long enough to hear atleast a pop. it sounds like the starter is just spinning. now what did i do?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM
rolling rototiller

Quote:
it sounds like the starter is just spinning. now what did i do?
OH NO!!!! if your sure that you got all the gearing back in like it should be, and as you said you run an auto shop, i'm guessing that wasnt the issue for you. on the end of the starter, there is a little steel hocky puck looking thing with the starter drive gear on it, you need to remove this, this is the starter drive clutch, should turn one way and free wheel the other way if it's good, this one isn't though, it is bad, and you will find that it's draggy one way and there will be one spot where it is almost feeling like it's jamed, at that spot, if you turn the other way, it will spin free both ways. finding one of these on the used market that isn't in the same shape is tough, and i suspect that this is the real starter issue that started the tear down. as this is failing it just kinda slips a little, making it sound like the engine is turning but real slow. you probably put in a new bat, and it didn't change, right? if you had put one of those metal probe stethascopes on the starter motor you would have heard the starer motor spinning along nicely. the fresher motor has got just that little bit more bag and it cooked the drive clutch. i know i guy who knows a woman in mass that can rebuild it, maybe, if you want i can try and get some contact info for her, or they seem to be about $140 on flee bay under drive xv100 starter clutch. kinda sucks you used that indian head now, huh? that stuff stick like nothing else

Last edited by toddwr250r; 03-29-2011 at 07:26 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Well damn it. i'll tell you how much i wish i didnt use indian head when i take this mo fo back apart. that hockey puck thing sounds like it may be the problem. i would have never known that was the problem, as the starter was completely locked up before i started this project. i will get back to you when i get the cover back off.

Good thing for yamaha gurus like yourself. i may try a local bike shop for a used starter clutch. i think that you are probably right on not being much better than the one i have. ill know more in a bit. thanks again.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 AM
rolling rototiller

ya no problem, but hardly a guru am i, just happen to have been there and done that, keep me posted on what's happening. i think you'll find e-bay is gonna be your best bet, cost wise, only issue i'd think would be the dependability. guess it comes down to what your customer is like, do they got the cash to pony up for the stock yamaha part? i don't recall how much it was exactly when i went to get one, but i know the price scared me. but they had one. then you know that the bike is going to get another 15-20k before it's need again, the god only knows where it came from and if it's gonna work more then once e-bay part?.... well, i guess if you know you are never gonna see them again, huh?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

no time to work on it today, i will definately see this guy again and i plan on making some money on this job(if i dont take time into consideration) so its gotta work for a little while. i think i am gonna have to give him a call here to let him know he is looking at more money than im sure he expected. ill keep you posted on my results.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

well, i got it back apart again. the starter clutch moved freely in both directions. that is until all of the sudden it would only go one way. whats up with that? after i order a NOS unit, is there anything else you can think of that i should change while im in there? whats this starter shim kit that ive heard about?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 AM
rolling rototiller

Quote:
well, i got it back apart again. the starter clutch moved freely in both directions. that is until all of the sudden it would only go one way. whats up with that?
ya, that's not the way it's supposed to be, supposed to be so that it spins free when the engine starts so the engine doesn't drive the starter motor before the nose gear retracts.

Quote:
after i order a NOS unit, is there anything else you can think of that i should change while im in there?
assemble using rtv till your sure you got it right, that way you don't damage that way too expensive side cover gasket.

Quote:
whats this starter shim kit that ive heard about?
well, just like on a chevy, it sets the gear interface, i didn't use one, just the shims that was in there from yamaha, i assume that if you let the starter get loose, as loosening parts is always an issue with a bike, it would chatter away at the shims and dammage em. i guess?

best of luck with your put together
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:12 PM
rolling rototiller

how goes it? getting it done?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

well, i got it back together. new starter clutch and alt. cover gasket that i messed up. bumped the starter button to hear a slight hint of compression, but i dont have oil in it yet. the oil, my customer wants to use amsoil. for some reason, he thinks its the bees knees. whats more is that he wants to use 0w30 instead of 10w30 or 20w40 that the book calls for. i tried to tell him otherwise but thats what he wants to use. ??????! so now,i am waiting for the oil to arrive before i really try to start it. i will post my results when i hear it fire up. the only thing that i seen that looked questionable is the gear that the starter clutch meshes with. little bit of wear on the teeth, but not enough to make me want to order a new one.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

well, it started up and runs good. i delivered the bike to my customer, and he was happy. he ended up bringing me 10w30 oil so that was ok. all is well. thanks for the help.