GM's New V8 Diesel - No Manifolds - Page 2 - Yamaha Forum : Your Yamaha Motor Products Community & Resource
Other Rides Anything from cars to airplanes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Anti Post Whore

What about biodiesel? Fuel from vegetable oil..sounds to me like some of you are still thinking in terms of petroleum based fuels.

Of course lets face it, the real problem is the internal combustion engines..No matter what fuels these types of engines, they will have emissions..

If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Motha Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Ltony View Post
What about biodiesel? Fuel from vegetable oil..sounds to me like some of you are still thinking in terms of petroleum based fuels.
I never looked into BioDiesel, I know that propane injection on the diesel will increase MPG, by a significant margin.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Life: Tragedy or Comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1 MASTER View Post
I'm not saying Diesel does not have a place in the commercial world. I have a fully loaded Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 with 360 CID and get around 18MPG on the Highway with gasoline. Similar vehicle with Diesel get around 21MPG. IMO not worth all the noise, smell, smoke, winter maintenance, $5,000 - $7,000 price increase for Diesel engine, etc. I could drive my gasoline truck for many years considering 3mpg and just the engine price difference.

However, you are right. When it comes down to outright MPG and torque the diesel is hard to beat. IMO there are many more negatives than positives for personal use though.

Ride safe.
Don't forget that Diesel fuel is about $0.50/gallon more expensive than gasoline. In some places, even higher.

I'm looking at a new vehicle later this year. Most likely, it's going to be a full size 3/4 ton cargo van (van body, just gutted rear) with an extended wheel base. I want it for hauling the bikes, cargo hauling, etc and not having an open bed or trailer for weather and security reasons.

I've priced out gas vs. diesel and so far, I'm leaning towards gas. Mostly because of engine costs added to purchase price, increased fuel costs, as well as not many shops around here have the ability to work on diesel engines if need be.

I do like diesel engines, as I've worked on and driven them before. But, one has to compare all aspects when it comes down to purchasing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
Also most of Europe drives Diesels, they can't be all wrong.
Might want to read Belgium's statement about health problems, dust, particulates, etc. Just because one country, or part of the world does something doesn't mean it's the best.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Motha Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn View Post
Might want to read Belgium's statement about health problems, dust, particulates, etc. Just because one country, or part of the world does something doesn't mean it's the best.

He was talking about the old generation diesels, ones without the particle filter, and I agreed with his as well.

I read the post, and got the meaning of it as well.