Yamaha Powersport Forums banner

V Star Owners - Are You Out There?

26K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  Rinaldo 
#1 ·
Just checking to see if there are any other "V Heads" out there. If so, it would be awesome if you could post a pic of your bike.

Also, what has been your favorite modification to your bike...

Thanks...we're looking forward to seeing some great bikes

#2 · (Edited)
So I guess I'll get things started.... with a few pics.

I think my favorite mods so far have been the PCS "ThugStar" pipe. I like it because it doesn't look like every other cruiser pipe set up out there. (ok..ok......... and because it's really loud).

That would be closely followed by the stealth rear tail light kit from Barons with a unitized LED turn signal/stop light. I put small LED's in the holes for the rear signal mounts and they look cool at night...and they even flash with the appropriate turn signals. The front signals are mini lLED's. If anyone is converting to LED turn signals, let me know...there is a trick to get them to work properly. Mine all flashed instead of just one side and I pulled my hair out for 2 weeks before I got it figured out.

The bike has been lowered almost 2" in the rear and the rear shock stiffened, which made it ride a lot better in my mind. I've removed the AIS and put Night Sky "No Squeal" plugs to seal the holes. It just makes the engine look so much cleaner.

The stiletto seat was on it when I got the bike and I love the look of it. I added the rack on back and customized it to fit with the tail light kit.

I picked up a used pair of red side covers from an 01 V Star on Ebay for a very reasonable price and I modified them to fit. The color is not an exact match but it's darn close and will do until I have time to paint them.

The handlebars are "Big Chief" bars from Cruiser Customizing with a 4" riser. I had to have a longer brake line made, but got the rest of the cables stretched with no problems other than a re-routing.

That's all for now..I don't want you nodding off on me...:sneaky

Attachments

#33 ·
So I guess I'll get things started.... with a few pics.

I think my favorite mods so far have been the PCS "ThugStar" pipe. I like it because it doesn't look like every other cruiser pipe set up out there. (ok..ok......... and because it's really loud).

That would be closely followed by the stealth rear tail light kit from Barons with a unitized LED turn signal/stop light. I put small LED's in the holes for the rear signal mounts and they look cool at night...and they even flash with the appropriate turn signals. The front signals are mini lLED's. If anyone is converting to LED turn signals, let me know...there is a trick to get them to work properly. Mine all flashed instead of just one side and I pulled my hair out for 2 weeks before I got it figured out.

That's all for now..I don't want you nodding off on me...:sneaky

I just bought mine after 5 years of not riding... here is the pic... first order of business...Signal Lights (Safety First!)... I am having the problem with both led flashers turning on at the same time.. can you share the secret, so I only have to spend 3 days on it? Second order of business... Thugstar pipes (flat black)... got a ticket for loud pipes last week... running on headers only.. is madness... sounds like having a C-41 running in your bedroom...L.O.U.D.... but I want the black pipes...

Attachments

#10 ·
Why don't you buy her a set of aftermarket pipes or slip ons? Most stock bikes are way too quiet anyway. Loud bikes save lives. Check out the pipe in the picture above. That is a single wall pipe with no muffler. (it rattles your guts when you start it in the garage) They also make "slip ons" for the Stars that are relatively inexpensive. You can make any V Twin out there sound pretty good.

#11 ·
#15 ·
I think there are a few of us. I'll post some pics as soon as/if I can but the best mod so far is the oil filter relocation kit (until one of the lines started to leak and it had to go back to Jardine for replacement/fix). From a cosmetic standpoint - Tsukayu strong saddle bags.

#16 ·
Yeah the old ORK is a great addition. I have one as well and haven't had a problem with it. I'm sorry you had a leak with yours, those things are pretty bullet proof. It definitely takes the $%^$#%^ out of changing the oil and was the first thing I did after I bought mine.

So tell me, is it a Custom, Silverado, or Classic?

....and I can't wait to see the pics....

#19 · (Edited)
This is the bike, new-to-me, with soft saddlebags and V&H slip-ons -

View attachment 4542

After changing the bags for more secure storage, pipes and ORK for cleaner lines and easier servicing

View attachment 4543

gorgeous bike....

Bought an 08 Silverado and having alot of fun learning how to ride after almost 20 years. Will have to work on resizing pics for later.
just take it easy.... would love to see it! might I ask what prompted you to buy a V Star?

#20 ·
#24 ·
Here is mine. I just bought it yesterday and cant wait for a warm day to ride it. I am 53 years old and last rode a bike aprox 25 years ago and it was only a 750. I did ride it a little today and it sure seems to have a lot of engine vibration but I have never been on a V twin engine. I dont really know much about bikes so I dont know if this one is stock or if it has any ad-ons. It has "Silverado" on the widsheild and "Classic" on the front fender. Is it both? Any comments would be appreciated.
2005 Yamaha 1100

#32 ·
Hey Mick!
Here goes:
She's an '08 1300 tourer, natively black cherry in color but has a splash of feminine custom paint in pearl pink and white and silver. She's modeled after the Shoei "Flutter" helmet, so I call her "Butterfly". The meep-meet has been replaced with a Fiamm Freeway Blaster, added the Triple Whammy for rear visibility. She's been Lowered 2", the saddle is Sculpted, gelled and embroidered seat. The windshield is tinted and I plan to tilt it back. I have the RSTD handlebars, Brake Away Cruise Control, Kuryakyn ISO Grips & Kewlocks, J&M CB, Linbar and passing lamps to install once the garage warms up.
I also will make a set of custom lowers and a driver backrest, as well as laydown the plate. The passengers seat is going to come off and be replaces with a rear fender rack. Some led accent lighting is also on the list of to-do, I just haven't decided the color yet. Soo much to do, many good times ahead!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.